Shorted Pci-e cards?

jayroller

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hi folks,

I'm just hoping someone can help me out. I've just bought a new pc (Acer M3640), which came with a Geforce 8600GTS card fitted which I wanted to upgrade. I bought myself a nice shiny BFG 9600GT, but... soft lad here didn't do his homework, and it appears this pc has a MicroATX mobo (CPU-Z identifies it as an Nvidia MCP73) so the card doesn't fit! When I say it doesn't fit, it will physically go in the case (and the pci-e slot), but it's so long it goes right across the SATA ports on the motherboard, meaning I can't physically plug anything in to them. (Bad design on the mobo, but I have to deal with it now!)

What I'm after then, is a shorter card I can put in without interfering with anything else on the board! I think my maximum length would be around 7 inches/18 cms, tip-to-tail but I'm having real difficulty finding out both what length most cards are, and what cards are available in a shorter length. I'm looking for something that's gonna give me more oomph, but without breaking the bank.

I'd really appreciate any help or info anyone can give. Ta for having a look!

(ps I've got a new PSU ready to go in, I know the one that ships with this pc isn't up to the job!)

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
get right angle sata cables...

had a customer with the same issue, and the right angle cable allowed the 9800 to work. there was enough (just) room under the card for the right angle cable to fit (install cable without the card installed, then put card in).