Sign in with
Your question

I7 860 question..

Last response: in Overclocking
April 26, 2010 4:03:30 AM

Hi,
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else but have searched but can't find the link/answer in noob terms to my specific question.
Which is, I want to overclock my i7 860, but does that mean I lose the turbo option? I like the fact that idle or low usage it slows down,
but if it detects 2 or only one core being used it ramps up the MHZ.. Can I O.C my baseline speed and keep turbo? Or does it mean that
on one core it will go too high and wig out?
Thanks in advance and again sorry for my noobness.

I have GA-P55A-UD3 | i7 860 | 4gig G-Skill trident DDR-1600 1.6v | Corsiar H50 (temps never went over 46 on prime95 burn! |

More about : 860 question

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2010 10:07:45 AM

AFAIK, Turbo Boost adds on top of the o/c. However, you'd have to check with someone else, because I'm not fully sure.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2010 1:59:33 PM

Sure you can leave turbo enabled but it all depends on how high you want to OC. You will have to take the max speed into consideration (which means more voltage) to keep things stable. It's kinda a waste IMHO, say you want to OC to 3.4 Ghz (162 X 21) and with turbo enabled it could take it as high as 4.0 Ghz, so you would need to set all your voltages for 4.0 Ghz so it would stay stable.

The dropping back at idle is speedstep not turbo, so as long as you leave it enabled it will still drop the speed for you.

Related resources
April 26, 2010 2:11:06 PM

So if I go for a 3.6 or even 4.0 (no turbo) the speed step can still drop it down when not under load?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2010 5:24:53 PM

As long as you keep it enabled.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2010 3:43:51 AM

For mine "Speedstep" no longer worked when I disabled turbo. At first I was a little bummed, then I actually measured the power draw of my system at idle. It was IDENTICAL to unOC'ed with "Speedstep". The new tech in the i3/i5/i7 seems to almost make the slow clock/speedstep irrelevant.
!