Windows XP not recognizing new hard drive

I upgraded a PC to XP and all worked fine. I then added a
new hard drive - it does not appear in "my computer" nor
the disk manager, but does appear correclty when I look at
disk drives in device manager. The BIOS is correctly
configured and shows the correct device details. Any ideas?

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:24:23 -0700, Dave Chamberlain wrote:

> I upgraded a PC to XP and all worked fine. I then added a
> new hard drive - it does not appear in "my computer" nor
> the disk manager, but does appear correclty when I look at
> disk drives in device manager. The BIOS is correctly
> configured and shows the correct device details. Any ideas?

Does the drive show up in Device Manager? If yes, go to Disk Management and
click on Action > Rescan Disks.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sharon,

The new device does not appear in device manager list. Any
other thoughts?

Dave

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 06:32:54 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> [...]

The drive is showing up in BIOS. Does it show up on the POST screen too?
And does not show up in Device Manager.

Check that the drive is also showing on the POST screen. This is a
diagnostic like screen that appears before Windows starts to load. You
might see a splash screen for the OEM instead. Sometimes you can press ESC
to dismiss the splash screen. If that doesn't work, go back to the BIOS
menu screen and look for an option to turn that off.

If the drive doesn't show up here, check your BIOS menus again. Found an
"acoustic drive" setting on a Dell machine recently. Had to enable that
setting to get the system to even bother checking for a new drive.

If the drive still does not show in Device Manager, something's not right
with the drive or how it is setup. Check that the IDE cable is the not
damaged and that it's connected securely at both ends. On the drive itself,
check that you have it set as master, slave or cable select (whichever is
correct for your setup).

If still no luck, it's time to call the hard drive manufacturer. They will
have you run some diagnostics from floppy disk to make sure that the drive
is healthy (you can download those diagnostic utilities at their site).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User