CPU Temp not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgately

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Hi,

I recently built a custom CPU with Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate, AMD Phenom Black 955, and and Asus Mobo. When I enter into BIOS I can see all my temps including motherboard and CPU, but when I try and use a 3rd party CPU temp program like Everest Ultimate, or core temp the temperature doesn't show up. Even AMD overdrive shows the CPU value at -256.00 which would be great I think.

Any ideas on why a temp would not show in a Windows program? I have exhausted everything I can think of.

sgately

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Yep latest BIOS, and I did try HWMonitor, no luck so far. It's odd because the bios directly says the temp, but the apps are not showing it. I thought these apps read the Bios readings.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Usually, this happens when you get something like an X2 or X3 and you unlock the locked cores. You're positive it's a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition? Have you done anything to mess with the ACC settings at all? Have you done any overclocking (even though that doesn't mess with the core temp readings)?

What model ASUS motherboard do you have?

isamuelson

Distinguished

That's strange then. If you're really concerned, note the difference between the CPU temp and the core cpu temps. Usually, the CPU temp is higher than the core temps (sometimes 5 to 10 degrees higher).

I know with mine, it's a difference of 10-15 degrees! Because my chip is an X3 unlocked to a quad core, I can only read the CPU temp and not the core. But, with 3 cores, I was able to read the core temps with programs such as AMD Overdrive, Speedfan, etc. Anyways, I saw what the difference was so now that I'm on 4 cores, I don't worry too much about the temps because I know that even though the CPU temp is reported as being around 43c, I know that in reality it's really around 30c, even though I can't see the core temp directly.

I would say if you're worried, then you could monitor the temp from the BIOS first to see the difference and that should give you a good indicator of what your temps are when in Windows.

Otherwise, I'm stumped. My only answer is that the motherboard might not be reporting back to the software correctly or else, it's a bug in the motherboard. You might want to contact ASUS support to see what they say or else, search their forums.

ted1735

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I have the 1055t AMD and the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3. I am having the SAME problem. BIOS ok, upgraded to latest, in Windows 7 64 Pro, not showing temps with ANY program, not even AMD Overdrive, the temps are dithered and blank.

It was working FINE! not sure what software or BIOS setting change I did not affect it if any.

josepht420

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Also having the exact same problem. Msi 890 fxa-gd65 mb and amd 1090T processor. Not too worried about temps since i'm only running at 3.8 ghz. Sucks tho cuz i want to push it to 4.0 ghz at least and dont want to go any further without being able to monitor temps while testing with 3d bench mark. I'm going to ask msi and amd support about this.

ozzie90

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Wow, I must have come to the right spot, because I am having the exact same problem. I have an AMD 965 BE running on an MSI 870A-G54.. I enabled the core unlocker but am still stuck with 4 cores, but any hardware monitor program I go into will not read any temps. All temps are stuck at 0* c.. The CPU usage monitors will fluctuate, but temps do not move. Obviously I can see the CPU temp within the BIOS, but that does not really help when trying to OC...

plaka1969

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

i have a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition and im having the same problem

Abomonous

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

I had similur problem when i enabled core unlocker on my 890fxa-gd70/AMD Phenom II 970. I disabled it and core temp works fine now. Im oc'd using genie lite to 4025 mhz. Looks to me like OC Genie just uped the bus speed to 230. multiplier is still at 17.5 Runs stable on prime95.

ant1ph0n

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
i have m4a89gtd mobo + x4 965 BE and when i first ran hwmonitor it showed all core temps and checked after a few hours to see if it changed. worked fine. i ran it again the next day or 2 and it showed no temps for each core just the cpu field.

not sure what it could be but i guess i came to the right place to discuss.

xarilaos

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Following the advise of "QuasarZ71" in bios I disabled the "unleashed mode" on my Asus M4A79XTD-EVO mobo, and cpu/core temps appeared again.
Apparently it works on other asus mobos and others...
Xarilaos from Hellas!

will72160

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
So somebody explain what good CoreTemp is if you've got all cores unlocked. I'm running a 965BE on an Asus M5A97 and have it clocked to 3.7 plus. Not a big deal as far as temps go, but I'd like to be able to use the little desktop gadget that shows usage, temps, and RAM. There ought to be a fix for this. Guess I'll have to apply some time and ingenuity!

Status
Not open for further replies.