I think something's up with my PC. Terrible graphics performance.

Aspyred

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I think something is up with my PC.

I always hear of how current mid-high end PC's are capable of running recent-ish games at high widescreen resolutions, an adequate level of AA/AF at great framerates. We're talking games like Team Fortress 2, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc.

But my PC for the oddest reason never comes close despite it being fairly recent. Mass Effect, even on 800x600 on the lowest possible texture settings runs around 30 FPS, with dips/stutters in between, Team Fortress 2 (even on the famed Source engine) runs OK at 1280x1024 with no AA and medium-high textures middles between 20-50/60 FPS.

And though I know Crysis is supposed to be a system wrecker, I recently picked up Crysis: Warhead and again, even on the lowest settings (we're talking 800x600 again, lowest possible texture settings, no AA, etc.) it probably runs at 10-20 FPS.

It seems the more advanced the engine, the more terrible the game runs.

My system isn't *that* terrible, is it?

CPU: AMD X2 4400+ (2.2 Ghz, Dual-Core)
GPU: Geforce GTX 260 (before the revision)
RAM: 2 GB OCZ PC400
HDD: 500 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II
PSU: 535W Enermax All-in-One

(No extraneous components sucking up power. Just your basic DVD drive and all-in-one floppy drive. Also, all drivers for video/sound/CPU are updated to their most recent versions.)

I'd really love to play Mass Effect, as I just picked it up, but I'm currently running that game at 1024x768, no AA/AF, textures set to medium and probably getting anywhere between 15-30 FPS, with stutters in between. Otherwise, nothing is out of the ordinary with the PC, ie. playing videos, exploring files. I do notice however, that even my laptop PC is sometimes quicker to load websites/applications in general, but I don't figure that a major concern.

One concern I DO have is that with my recent Geforce GTX 260 (and I realize this is much more relatively powerful than my CPU), it requires 2 PCI-E slots (the thing is huuuge!). I don't know much about motherboards, but mine only has a central 16x PCI-E slot (which worked fine for my Geforce 7800 GT) and 2 8x PCI-E on either side of it.

I have no idea if that means anything, but will that reduce GPU performance? Other than that, I can't think of anything else that could result in such poor graphics performance from my PC.

I have one more question. I have a friend that just got a recent PC with a Geforce 9800GTX. Now I don't know much about that card, but does it only use 1 PCI-E slot? If so, would it be beneficial at all to trade cards? His new PC could take advantage of the newer GTX 260 and if this is true, I might receive a performance gain myself.

I'd appreciate any and all ideas on this. Thank-you.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
well im sry to be the bearer of bad news, but ur cpu clock speed is a little on the low end...idk how much u can oc but if i could, i would...
another thing to consider is your psu not having enough juice to power ur 260...im not exactly sure if this is true or not cuz i dont know what the recommended requirements are for a 260...
As far as I see it, there is definitely something at fault in ur rig...the infamous Source engine should shine like a mofo with ur rig...:)

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
no, just because the card is dual slot doesn't mean you actually have to plug it into two pci e slots :lol: the extra slot is just for the giant fan/cooler.

and no the9800GTX is not single slot.

as for your performance issues... thats really weird. have you tried ocing your CPU? what 3dmark06 score?

onearmedscissorb

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I don't think the CPU would mess it up that bad. I used to use the same CPU with a mere 6600GT, and I could play Supreme Commander at 1280x1024 with the graphics maxed out.

The graphics card is definitely, well, retarded overkill, for being paired with that CPU, though.

Have you completely uninstalled and updated the video card driver to the newest version? You should also update the motherboard chipset driver, as well. Of course, it's good to keep all the drivers reasonably up to date, but I'd say those two would be the most likely culprits to cause a serious problem.

I'd also poke around in the BIOS and be sure something isn't amiss. No telling what it could be there, though.

If that doesn't work, I think I'd format the hard drive, reinstall Windows, and pray it works right after installing new drivers.

Btw, have you always had that motherboard and CPU together? I once put an X2 into an old low end socket 939 board, and it had a horrible voltage throttling issue that slowed the computer down to a crawl. Unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done about it.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
^hey i recently bought supreme commander and its impossible to play... seriously move the mouse to the sides of the screen to scroll around the map and BAM! you're at the other side of the map! hyper sensitivity ftl :(

i havent got the download to get the patch yet... but does that fix it? seems like one helluva bug to me.

sorry for the thread jack :whistle:

Darth_Kaar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Your system specification looks allright to me. I believe that problem lies elswere. Perchaps you haven't connected VGA power cord to your GeForce. Such GPU's draw power from both PCI-E (up to 75 W) and additional connector to PSU. Without sufficient power for the GPU, system usually refuses to boot or as in your case, it offers poor permormance. Your PSU should have at least one VGA connector.

Aspyred

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Thanks for your insight, everyone (thumbs-up to all). I forgot to mention that I had recently upgraded the BIOS on the motherboard, and re-formatted Windows (have tried both Windows XP/Vista Business).

At this point, my intuition tells me it isn't software-related (BIOS aside), and something to do with the hardware.

It's definitely possible that I have a very low-end socket 939 motherboard. It had come together in a bundle with the eVGA Geforce 7800 GT I had previously. Here is the printout from the official receipt:

"nForce 4 Motherboard", which I believe is the EVGA nForce 4 SLI Edition (133-K8-NF41-AX).

It's possible it could be a voltage issue. Let me know what other information you may need to confirm this, and I will earnestly try to get that for you. Thank-you.

I will also post my 3DMark '06 score as well.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Could be the PSU. If you've had it for a while it might not be putting out the power it should be anymore. I looked it up and saw 18A on each 12V rail, but didn't see what the combined wattage was. You might also check the capacitors on the motherboard to see if any of them look like they are bulging or leaking. I'd say the same for the PSU, but unless you know what you're doing I'd stay away from disassembling that.

A question I have is: how does performance with the GTX 260 compare to your old 7800GT? I have an old Athlon X2 and also used to have a 7800GT and recently upgraded to a Radeon HD 4670 (significantly slower than a GTX 260 but still a sizable upgrade) and got a huge boost in gaming performance. If your performance has gone down then the PSU sounds likely. If performance gets worse with newer game engines that could be because they are taxing the system more thoroughly causing it to draw more power from a dying PSU.

Also, make sure you're using the latest drivers.

-mcg

Aspyred

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

That's some great insight as well. I've had the PSU for 3 years. To answer your question, no, I have not noticed a huge improvement from the 7800 GT to the GTX 260. Team Fortress 2 ran at 1024x768 with medium textures and 2x AA, and the GTX 260 just makes it a lot more tolerable with the same-ish settings at 1280x1024.

I noticed some marked improvement with Oblivion, where it now runs somewhat smoothly at 1280x1024 with medium-high detail, but that's about it.

Basically, I had noticed an improvement overall, but it was nowhere near, at all, what I expected. I thought initially, that it was the CPU dragging the GTX 260 down (and it is, to an extent), but even when OC'ing, I don't notice any huge differences.

MrCommunis, is there anything else you'd have to try? I'll let you know anything you need.

Your PSU has twin 12v rails, 18A each and the gtx 260 needs 36A on its own, I`m surprised your system boots, let alone runs!
Try something bigger from Corsair, OCZ or PC power and cooling, look at a 600W unit.

Kari

Splendid

lol thats not true. the 36 amps is probably the recommended amperage for the whole system not just for the card! (too lazy to check if they actually officially recommend such a high amperage, could be...)

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354&p=0
GTX260 uses like 140W, that's under 12A

anyhow, detailed 3Dmark06 score could shed some light on this, ie if the cpu is bogging down for some reason or if it is just the card having troubles...

Aspyred

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I haven't used 3DMark in, like, forever. So I didn't change any pre-sets, I ran the tests as is, at my native resolution, 1280x1024.

Test Results:

3DMark Score: 8359 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score: 3556
SM 3.0 Score: 4899
CPU Score: 1531

Is this good, bad, in between?

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Well, there's certainly something wrong. I'm running an Athlon X2 at 2.6Ghz and an HD 4670 and managing about 30fps in Mass Effect with all settings on max, film grain off (because I hate it, but I didn't see a marked fps increase) and 16x AF. At 1440x900, so ~equal to your res.

I'd say it's definitely a power supply issue. But make sure you're not forcing 8x AA in your nvidia control panel or anything.

Aspyred

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Yeah, see, based off everything I see, I should be getting comparable performance with Mass Effect.

I've been long tweaking my PC, so the Nvidia Control Panel has been changed to High Performance long ago, with any extra effects either turned off to changed to Application-Controlled.

I've checked off every possibility I can think of. CPU should be OK (I should think), HDD and GPU are both new, 2 new OS installations, and I don't think I have a RAM issue.

I've opened up my case many times, and am far and away from being a computer hardware expert. Is removing your old PSU and installing a new one fairly trivial? It doesn't look like it at all, and to me, appears to be the most complex task with all the wires and whatnot dangling every which way.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Either the CPU or PSU. The cpu at 2.2 could be bottlenecking it, thats why you dont see much improvement over your 6600gt. You could buy the best card right now and not see improvements. It could also be your PSU not giving enough juice.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
CPU @ 2.2GHz is NOT bottlenecking it that badly. I'm running my X2 3800 @ 2.4GHz right now, but even at stock 2.0GHz my performance doesn't suffer that much in anything GPU intensive. Also, with my HD 4670 I play games at 1680x1050 with most of the eye candy turned on including 2xAA and 4xAF in most cases. Fallout 3 isn't completely smooth with these settings, but like Oblivion before it, completely smooth frame rates aren't really necessary to enjoy the game.

That aside, using the PSU calculator I got a full load draw of 300-350W depending on exact components and settings, but using the X2 4200 and a GTX260 in every case.

-mcg

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I hadn't really finished my thought when I hit the submit button. What the PSU calc result means is that the load *shouldn't* be taxing a properly functioning PSU rated like yours. But, based on the symptoms and my personal experience I think it is very likely that your PSU is the culprit due to its age. If you can, see if you can borrow a good PSU to test in your system.

Replacing the PSU really isn't that difficult. At least for a temporary replacement just make sure that everything that was plugged in before is plugged in afterwards, and that none of the cables are getting caught up in any of your fans. For a permanent replacement I'd make sure to route cables and such, but cross that bridge when you come to it. As mentioned before, Corsair and PC Power and Cooling make great PSUs that aren't extremely expensive (like Seasonic's). Antec also makes some decent cheaper PSUs (although I wouldn't touch their "Basiq" line). Check out jonnyguru.com if you want to read some good PSU reviews.

Hope this helps!
-mcg

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
like i said before, its most likely the psu...If u have a friend with a beefier psu, ask him to see if u can hookup ur rig with it and test it out like that...thats exactly what i did for a friend of mine...his comp became unstable when playing games and we finally singled out the problem by testing out every other component in his computer...in the end, once my psu was hooked up to his rig, his computer finally worked properly when gaming

Aspyred

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Thumbs up all around, thank-you all for your input.

Unless anyone else has anything else, it seems the PSU is the culprit and I intend on replacing it. I looked up a couple here, are these any good at all for my system? Which do you all think is better for me?

They seem to fit the bill and the latter seems almost overkill, but it is still within my price range.

Corsair VX 550W Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan -- $75 CAD

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Power Supply -- $110 CAD

By the by, this might be a pretty ignorant question, but the plug that provides power to the PC -- it's currently plugged directly into the wall socket, but would there be any difference in power output if you had it plugged into a surge protector? I doubt it, and the latter is probably safer, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Well, I know I'd never run my computer without it in a good surge protector... I lost two PCs that way. I'd probably just go for the Corsair VX 550W, but if you have the money, the PC Power & Cooling 750W will hold you up for several years probably.

Aspyred

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Any other opinions of these PSU's?

By the way, is a 3DMark06 score of 8359 for my machine terrible? I remember running 3DMark05 with my 7800 GT and a slower HDD, and while there is a difference with framerates (and the fact they are slightly different tests), it definitely was not a world of difference.

TRENDING THREADS