Dell E521 CPU upgrade, now fan stuck on full blast!!!???

BobNoxious2009

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Dell E521 Processor Upgrade:

I upgraded my E521 to the AMD 65w 5600+ X2 processor... everything fine, recognized. rebooted a few times, fine. ran performance stress tests.. .fine. installed speedfan and hmonitor to look at temps. fine (37C load, 27C idle). (note: I think Speedfan may have caused the next 'issue').

Can Speedfan cause a problem on DELL fans, since there is no why to adjust Dell fan speeds on this pc?

My PC was at 27C ... cool. Rebooted... Fan whizzes to HIGH SPEED Deafening loud! Like an airplane! Power off/on sporadically kicks it to low speed, but system->restart was always on High speed fan! Temps were down to 22C by now...

So, I uninstalled all speedfan / hmonitor software. power down power on. LOUD. restart... LOUD. flashed bios to 1.0.3 again... LOUD. Decided to research, found a post on BIOS... flashed BIOS from 1.0.3 to 1.1.11

1.1.11 made it QUIET!!! =) system restart... QUIET! system restart... QUIET! I go to sleep. I wake up. power down power up... QUIET! system restart... QUIET. I hope it stays that way on the next restart.

The symptoms last night were... when you restart... it goes LOUD every time. when you power off/on, it SOMETIMES went loud. Loud right at startup before XP and stays that way FOREVER. 1.1.11 BIOS appears to have helped. Is it that simple? or do I have a nightmare waiting for me when I get home and reboot?

Did Speedfan do this? Should I go back to my old 3200+ if the issue comes back?

BobNoxious2009

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
BIOS resolved it. Thanks for the humor. If it continued, I would have replaced with an Antec Tri-Cool 120mm switch-variable speed-controlled case fan in place of the current fan (just not connected to the mobo).