avianrand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Okay, this is odd. I'm testing a new build. Intel i7-930 on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 with 6GB Corsair RAM and Win7 64bit. I have been testing with Prime and getting pretty good results but I just discovered LinX and thought I'd give that a try. I installed it and ran it for a while today and it ran fine for quite a while. I did 20 runs withe the default settings. Then I beefed it up a bit. I had to stop it to do something else. Then when I started it up again and came back after a bit it was still running but no results rows. For the settings I had there should have been results rows. I hit the stop button and nothing happened. Still blinking time in the status bar of LinX. So I closed it and rebooted. Same thing. It says it's running but nothing happens. No increase in CPU temps at all either. I tried Prime again and it does what it's supposed to do. I get CPU 100% in task manager and temps go up ni CPUID Hardware Monitor. I even tried uninstalling LinX, rebooted and reinstalled and get the same thing. LinX doesn't do anything now. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Solution
Btw, here was my solution to the Q6600 problem back then. This should work.

The libraries used by LinX .6.4 is OLD. You can grab the latest binaries from Intel here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download/

Extract the linpack_xeon64.exe and linpack_xeon32.exe from the Intel Zip file (above link)and replace the ones in LinX with them. The ones used by LinX 0.6.4 are from 2009, where as the new ones from Intel are from March 25 2010.

edit:

One more thing: Use the ZIP file here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201670
DON'T use the Installer.
Btw, here was my solution to the Q6600 problem back then. This should work.

The libraries used by LinX .6.4 is OLD. You can grab the latest binaries from Intel here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download/

Extract the linpack_xeon64.exe and linpack_xeon32.exe from the Intel Zip file (above link)and replace the ones in LinX with them. The ones used by LinX 0.6.4 are from 2009, where as the new ones from Intel are from March 25 2010.

edit:

One more thing: Use the ZIP file here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201670
DON'T use the Installer.

Solution

avianrand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Okay. That's good to know. I was really worried I might have fried something but it's running everything else okay and the stats seem fine. I smelled something burning :fou: earlier and shut down both machines very quickly. Not sure what it was. Could have been something in the kitchen or even my UPS but all's good now :??: . Sure smelled electrical but my nose could have been playing tricks on me in panic mode. I was unable to locate the source of the smell. Opened up both computers, the new one and the existing one. Nothing too hot, nothing in particular smelled odd and nothing looked funny. Took the opportunity to do a better job of routing cables in my XP machine and blew out the dust. Wasn't too bad but was time to do it. Is it possible that LinX could have caused something to get hot to the point of smelling burned but not caused it to be damaged?

Is it possible that LinX could have caused something to get hot to the point of smelling burned but not caused it to be damaged?
That is always possible, esp. if the board you were using had "cheap" voltage regulation circuitry,etc. (Btw, the board you are using is quite good quality, I used one before replacing it with a P6T Deluxe v2). Could also be the PSU. Mind listing full specs?

Just to make sure, double check all wiring, scorch marks, etc

edit:

One more thing, do you have DES (Dynamic Energy Saver) software installed?

avianrand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 (BIOS v 5)
CPU = (1) Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366
RAM = CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 7-7-7-20 Model TR3X6G1333C7 G
Cooler = Noctua/XION NH-U12P SE2 Universal CPU Cooler (2 fans)
Video = (1) EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+
Sound = HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+
Case = LIAN LI PC-P80 or PC-A77F
PSU = CORSAIR CMPSU- HX1000
Storage = (2) WD6402AAEX 640GB SATA 6.0Gb/s RAID 0 & (4) WD1001FALS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s RAID 10 (all on the Intel controller)
Optical = (2) LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06
OS = Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Everything above is new. Nothing's overclocked yet.

I had a concern about the -5 voltage yesterday so I put a meter on all the leads of every cable of the PSU and as far as just no load voltages, they came out fine. But when I run HWMonitor I can get up to -9 on the -5 which can't be accurate.

I was warned not to install DES. I downloaded the drivers from Gigabyte and installed them one at a time. Did not use the CD and did not install any Gigabyte utilities.