VPU recovery troubles

womenbeshoppin

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Ever sense I've had this system I get VPU Recovery errors at random times during gaming(sometimes 20 minutes in, sometimes hour+ in, or never), Causing the game to crash to the desktop. I also get artifacts (small solid blue checkers) that seem to be at random times. But very short (blink of an eye) and not often. My video card idles at around 45c and goes to mid 70c at full load. This is with 90% fan speed.

All of the components are brand new
amd phenom 9850
biostar ta790gx a2+
powercolor (PLAY! edition) HD4850 (8.12 drivers)
buffalo select RAM (2g)
Corsair 650TX

chechnyan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
this often happens with a heat issue
you may not have enough air flow in you case or check you vga card fan
and how it spin
use rivatuner for controlling you're card fan
http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner
the site has a very easy guide to teach you

also i encounter this issue by my self with my hd3870
the only solution that worked with me was with lowering the card clock from 850mhz to 830mhz i use rivatuner too
but hopefully you no need to do that

M-Ajesty

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Nah, nothing to do with a heat issue here, his temps are fine.

I'm getting it too, but instead of VPU recovery I'm getting blue screens relating the atikmdag.sys error. There's no solution for it yet.

Switching to Xp makes it go away most of the time, which I'm gonna do.

Agree with CHECHNYAN, underclock your card , try -50MHz memory and if that does n`t help, -20MHz off the core speed.
The ATITool (google it)`scan for artifacts` is still a good, if now old test to use, it does exactly what it says and will report any errors instantly.

womenbeshoppin

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
ati tool 0.26 wouldn't work for me. So i got ver 0.27 beta 4. within a minute of the artifact scan i got a "beep"(artifact?). Than I just constantly got a beep every 10 seconds or even every few seconds. I ran the test for about 5 minutes. My GPU temp got a max of 75c and the gpu (mem) was 80c and gpu shadercore 71c within that time.

Now try the underclocking bit, just go to the CCC `overdrive`, click on the padlock icon (top left) to unlock it and reset your cards` speeds by dragging the sliders. Just try the memory underclock first, it does seem to cure some of these problems.
And yes, the beep should have resulted in a restart of the test and means an artifact has been detccted.

M-Ajesty

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Nope, that means either the drivers of ATi suck, or Vista sucks.

Vista is saying it's the problem of the hardware manufacturers (ATi and nVidia in this case), while the hardware producers are telling that this is a Vista problem.

I think the problem lies with ATi and nVidia, making bad drivers.

M-Ajesty

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Yikes.

Well, that's the second time I see someone having this specific problem with XP, and the first guy had a faulty videocard.

Seeing your story about artifacts and such.. You could try underclocking, but I'm not sure whether it will break the warranty or not, you'd better find that out first.

If it does not break warranty, go for it.
If it does, return it.