Sign in with
Your question

XTUservice errors followed by crash...

Last response: in Overclocking
April 27, 2010 2:40:19 AM

My system started acting up over the last two days, though my recent changes seem somewhat benign. I installed Audacity 3 days ago, opened it once, recorded a sound, shut it down and haven't opened it since. Installed HiJackThis two days ago, but didn't have it clean anything. I promise, HiJackThis didn't touch a thing, I just installed it as a curiosity, and meant to check it out later.

I use my machine for some word processing, some online video, and for shooting zombies.

Yesterday while waiting in the L4D2 lobby, my screen filled gray bars, looked a little like digital video noise. After a reboot, and after consulting the Event Viewer, I found one error in the preceding hour: XTUservice. Tonight, waiting in the L4D2 lobby, another hard crash, this time, my monitor flashed off. XTUservice was the most recent error again.

Here's my plan:

Uninstall Audacity, HiJackThis, and Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (which I believe is connected to the XTUservice?).

I don't really know anything about overclocking, so I wanted to run this by the experts here who might be more familiar with the extreme tuning utility, see if I could get some info on what the XTUservice does, and why it might (or might not) be the source of my problems.

If I don't get any feedback, I'll pull out those three programs and see what happens, post the results back here.

I just ran some short tests through the Intel utility. No crashes, but the tests weren't long. My cores stayed at around 30 degrees through the CPU test. Did a memory test and the cores jumped up about 20 degrees each. Is that normal?

My system info is as follows:
Win 7 Pro 64
Intel i5-750
ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156
ATI Radeon HD 5850
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Cooler Master Hyper 212

Spinpoint HDD
iomega SuperDVD from a few builds ago

It's in an Antec 300 case.

For hardware connected to the machine: an EPSON scanner/printer, G35 Headphones from logitech, cheap USB keyboard+mouse (Gear Head on keyboard, Dynex on mouse),
April 29, 2010 9:21:36 PM

Had another crash just now, just watching Hulu on Chrome.

Errors:
Kernel-EventTracing
Application Error
Application Popup
EventLog
Service Control Manager

I might need to find some way to dig in a little deeper.
m
l
August 19, 2010 3:00:51 AM

Hey man,

I have nearly the same specs as you... and having a similar issue.

I'm getting XTUservice errors, and have bluescreened twice (in close proximity to the errors).

I OC'd the I5 to 3.0 Ghz. Its not a cooling issue (Using Corsair H50 - 34c idle, 58c load)

Since we both have the same memory, one of us should run the mem86 test and see if its a RAM issue.
This type of random crashing is typically RAM - or at least a bad part of it.

If the part of the RAM in question is small enough, it will pass most quick (<2 hours) tests, and can, at times, result in sable computer performance for up to a week. The second the bad part of RAM gets used for something important, you will see this crash.

I will play around with the various ASUS (same MOBO as you, too) tools, including the Intel overclocker.

Let me know what you find, and I will do the same.
m
l
!