Help! desktop display properties error desktop tab is "frozen"

Kross3dx

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
One of my close friends has posed a very interesting dilemma to me. He downloaded a desktop .jpg (from God knows where) and it was saved as Internet explorer image and set it as his background.
Now he called me to look at it.
I noticed when going into display properties and clicking on the desktop tab, that nothing at all was able to be selected or changed. I did some quick snooping and found the desktop image in the app data > microsoft > ie saved as a .jpg there. I deleted it in hopes of it releasing his desktop to no avail. all of the options are still "frozen" on the desktop tab. any ideas on how to restore the customization of the desktop at all?
If there is a way to do this without editing registry that would be optimal. (registries are a hassle XD)
Thank you for reading and hopefully helping!!

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Just try a system restore (Start--All Programs--Accessories--System Tools- System restore) to the date right before it happened. As system restore is really just a registry backup, restoring you PC to before it happened is essentially restoring your registry to before it happened.