Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Computer: IBM Thinkpad T40
System: Windows XP Pro SP3
HDD: WDC WD2500BEVE-00WZT0
HDD is divided in 4 separate partitions
BIOS Ver: 3.23 (1RETDRWW)
Boot Order: is set to CDRW, then USB FDD, the HDD
(Both CD or USB drives flash before HDD starts)

PROBLEM STARTED…….I was running out of room on my C: partition so I used epm_Easeus Partition Master to change partition sizes, ( I had done this once before and had no problems). When the partitioning was done this time, it said everything was completed ok. But when I rebooted my system is seemed a bit slower booting up.

The next day I got a message from Lenovo monitoring software-PC Doctor that my Harddrive could fail at anytime.

I put my Windows XP CD in and got to the Recovery Console and ran
Chkdsk /p gave msg that there was One or More Errors
Chkdsk /r gave msg that One or more errors was repaired

The computer was fine for a while and then shut down.

I tried the above Recovery Console repair again, with same outcome, BUT system would blue screen and reboot.

I then downloaded a copy of Data Lifeguard Diagnostics from the Western Digital website to try and REPAIR the HDD. It started running for about 20 minutes and then stopped. FROZE.

NOW THIS IS WHAT IT DOES…….
Boots from HDD : Screen is dark, for about 1 minute while hard drive is running, then gives message… Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.

When I’m getting the message… Booting from any CD (hit any key): The CD drive flashes rapidly, and the screen says “Setup is inspecting your computer’s hardware configuration… then gives the message…”NTDETECT” Failed.

THE PROBLEM IS THE CD DOES NOT ADVANCE TO GET THE OPTION TO LOAD WINDOWS OR “R” to repair.

NOW I’M STUCK.

I have downloaded 3 different files to build and copy/burn to make (BOOT CDs)
1) PC-Doctor DOS CD –from Levono site (ISO image file for bootable CD)
2) XP Boot for Windows.iso
3) Bitdefender Rescue CD.iso

I made each on a different cd, and get the same result. The cd starts to flash when prompted to boot from the cd drive, but nothing happens and Windows XP pro tries starting up from the HDD and I only get this message.. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEM

WHY WON’T THESE “ISO” CD FILES BOOT FROM MY CD !!!!!!!!!! HELP !!!!

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Hi

My observation is maybe you forgot to switch Boot Drives from HD to CD ?
Insert the Windows XP install CD and boot From It. Most laptops have a boot device change key like F12 ? You don't need to get into Bios to do it either.
Let me know how this progresses. I would temporarily install windows on a free partition leaving everything intact just to backup data and settings. After delete and re-create ALL partitions, re-format and re-install OS and Software.