Need to recover data from a raid 0 setup

keslrc

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I am using a raid 0 configuration with windows vista and one drive failed so I can no longer load up windows. The hard drive still powers up and spins but when I turn my computer and go into my storage manager it just says the hard drive failed and an error occurred (only on one of the hard drives in the RAID 0 configuration). I am about to wipe it clean and reformat but want to check to see if there is a way to recover my data before I reformat. I hope I make sense and Thanks in advance.

Check out www.runtime.org and look for apps called RAIDReconstructor and GetDataBackforNTFS. These are free apps to download for an evaluation period to determine if the apps can recover your data but you then must purchase a license to enable full functionality. Be sure to read the docs and instructions.

I've used both apps to recover data from a botched RAID5 array and it worked great. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

sub mesa

Distinguished
Burn and boot Ubuntu Linux livecd (and click the "try out ubuntu" button). Then click Places menu, click Home. On the left side of the window that opens you should see ".. GB Filesystem". Click it and you should see your data.

That simple. :)

And you can copy over the network, to recover your data. To do that try Places->Connect to Server.

keslrc

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply I've been busy these last few days and haven't had time to look into this further. I downloaded and burned ubuntu to a cd and tried it out but was't able to find any of my files when it boots from the cd it says something along the lines of ubuntu has encounted an error and will load a desktop setup. I was still able to go to places then home and saw something called filesystem, not "GB filesystem" and none of my files were in it. Any ideas? Thanks for your help so far.

sub mesa

Distinguished
What exactly was the error message you received? And could you check the following commands in a terminal (applications->accessories->terminal)?

ls -l /dev/sd*
ls -l /dev/md*
sudo apt-get install mdadm
mdadm --detail --scan
mount

Send the output of those commands in here; if it does not work it's possible the data on the RAID-disks is damaged.

You would have recovered your data, reformatted, and completed a re-install by now if you had used RAIDReconstructor...i'm just saying...

keslrc

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

Sounds good but the price I saw was like $100 so I want to make sure there isn't a cheaper way but will still keep that option open.

keslrc

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /dev/sd*
ls: cannot access /dev/sd*: No such file or directory
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /dev/md*
ls: cannot access /dev/md*: No such file or directory
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install mdadm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
postfix
Suggested packages:
procmail postfix-mysql postfix-pgsql postfix-ldap postfix-pcre sasl2-bin
resolvconf postfix-cdb
The following NEW packages will be installed:
mdadm postfix
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the download directory
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mdadm --detail --scan
The program 'mdadm' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install mdadm
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount
aufs on / type aufs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
/dev/sr0 on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/ubuntu/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ubuntu)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

sub mesa

Distinguished
@keslrc, it appears your metadata is gone; so your RAID disks are damaged because they do not store the data they should be storing.

That means automatic recovery no longer works. You would have to manually create the RAID array. You can do that with mdadm, and with many other utilities as well.

If you require help, i would ask that you install FreeBSD instead and use geom_stripe to create a RAID0 array out of your drives. That procedure is more complex; trying RAID Reconstructor on Windows or other commercial utilities might yield the same result.

Please tell me if you would like to try the FreeBSD method.