Motherboards with POST problem

dur_trix

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Guys i need your help / advice, well this is the weirdest thing i've ever seen or heard of.

Let me start off with the system....

Asus M3A79-T Delux
AMD Phenom 9950 BE (2.6 GHZ)
4GB DDR 800 Memory
1GB Sapphire HD 4870 Toxic Edition
4x 250GB Western Digital SATA HDD
EZ-Cool 950watt PSU

Ok now the problem is that, on random intervals (not always) if the system was off for longer than 3 hours, it doesn’t want to POST, but if i hit the reset button on the case the system randomly starts to POST and then boots without a problem... now why in hells name would the PC do this? I have a colleague at work that has the exact same setup but he has the Sapphire 790FX Mobo, and his system does the same thing? But why?

Please help me im dumbstruck and n00bafied by this occurrence, if you have any suggestions please post it here.

Thanx in advance!!!!

Possible things to check.
1. RAM needs more voltage.
2. Hard drive starting to fail.
3. RAM needs more voltage.
4. PSU is starting to fail.
5. RAM needs more voltage.
6. North Bridge needs more voltage.
7. RAM needs more voltage.

Not trying to be a smartass, but usually a little more voltage to your memory will clear this up. Let us know how it turns out. :)

dur_trix

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
thanx so far guys but no i didnt overclock the system at all

and then i tried without any hdd's or cd-roms attached, still at random intervals it doesnt want to post.

And then i increased the memory voltage from 1.8 to 1.82 - didnt want to post at all
and then tried the memory voltage 1.84 and 1.86 still it didnt want to post again

as far as then NB is concerned, wht voltages must i try?

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Man RAM voltages would have been my first guess too. First try resetting your CMOS, that's usually what I do when I have funky problems along these lines. If that doesn't work, I would also try raising your CPU voltage, or lowering your FSB.

Eliminate all possible variables that could be causing the problem.
Change PSU's if you can.
Change RAM sticks if you can.
Turn off things like C.I.A.2 (etc.)

If you try EVERYTHING and can't get it working, it might be an issue with the motherboard itself. I've had a lot of motherboards (mostly Foxconn and other cheap brands) that have had a nasty habit of shutting on and off randomly.
Maybe you should contact ASUS tech support and see if this is a problem that is fixable.