images load as a red (x)

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After installing service pack 1 i am having problems
viewing images when surfing the web. Some images display
as a red x in the placeholder. I have updated my graphics
card with the latest drivers and made sure all the
correct boxes are ticked in advanced settings of ie6.
I also have the latest version of ie6 installed.
I have been told that it is not advisable to load sp1 on
a packard bell pc, but this was after the event. There is
a description of a fix\patch on microsofts site however,
i cant seem to find it, all i get is a divert onto a
customer self help forum.
PLEASE PLEASE help me, i am at my wits end.

Please check the following Knowledge Base Article. Some of the steps you
may already have performed but it also has several additional things to
check as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283807

Also check the following from MVP Maurice N.:

From MVP Maurice N:

To all who are missing GIF's on their webpages using IE6 / IE6 SP1 :

If you are using Internet Explorer 6 and you see some missing graphics:

Setting aside any issue with Norton / Symantec tools --- first re-check a
few settings in your I.E. browser.
Give this a try : IF you allow "per session cookies" in Your IE, Tools
>Internet Options>Privacy>
Advanced Privacy settings --- Select (on) Always allow session cookies ---
you will likely see all the graphics.
The same effect should work if you also set "First party cookies" to
accept.

I think if you just adjusted some settings in Privacy, maybe a setting down
in Security, and
re-reviewed all settings in IE --- you'd do a lot better.

At least this worked in another case, when the web page called for graphics
symbols (gifs) residing on a
different domain. I've so far checked this behavior at dslreports.com and
front page at ebay.com .

Apparently some sites use special-type cookies.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User