kazeus

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hi all. Firstly i would like to say i am completle new to this so please bear that in mind.

recently i have decided to build the pc that would let me "be happy" for at least year or two. After a lot of thinking i ended up with this components on my pick list:

mobo- p6t deluxe
cpu- i7 920
gpu- xfx gf gtx 260 black edition
hdd- wd raptor 300gb
ram- ocz3p1333lv3gk 3x1gb
case- antec 300
psu- corsair tx750w
monitor- lg w2252tq
os- vista x64

Please let me know if you have any thoughts about it or what should i change. The cost overall is around £1400.
Also can you help me with the choice of a decent cpu cooler so i can oc it? I might want to stick second gpu in future, do yo u reckon that the case wouldnt be too small? or the psu for the matter?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks

Zenthar

Distinguished
If your budget isn't too stretched already, I would either go for 6GB (3x2GB) or, a compromise, dual-channel 2x2GB (then add another 2GB later on when you get the $$$).

Other than that I think you got a solid build. Maybe a replacement HSF to OC? I got no idea what are the good ones for i7.

I would go with a bigger case, or at least make sure the gtx 260 will fit in the antec 300. Other then that your build looks good. I'd would mybe walk away from the velociraptor and get a good 1tb drive, they're almost as fast, then use the money saved for a 24 inch monitor.

The only replacement cooler I know that works for the i7 is the cooler master v8. you may want to pick that up too.

kazeus

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
great, so its not like mess or anything.

@ Zenthar: good idea but will 2x2gb be as gud as 3x1gb do you think. i was gonna put in another 3x1gb later on

@ PsyKhiqZero right thats actually made me think with this case thing as i have already assumed it will fit ok. Got to check on that one!
About the drive what you saying is that raptor wont make much difference to me eg. load times etc.? i have 750gb f1 samsung with eSata so storage isnt a problem.
also i have decided to go with 22" due to space limitation on my desk (its a corner one) one day i will def. upgrade this one.

thanks for the input

Zenthar

Distinguished
I think there are a couple of benchmarks around shows the performance gain from dual to triple channel is mostly in synthetic benchmarks; the added latency cancels most of the benefit of the added bandwidth in real-world applications. The reason why I suggested to use 2GB modules is that not all MB react properly when all their RM slots are filled. Might not be the case here, but given the price of DDR3, I don't think you would like the surprise when upgrading. So either double-check if someone had issues with 6x1GB on the P6T or play it safe and get 3x2GB right now.

For game load time, the Raptor won't give you much of a boost. The only situations where the Raptor shines is when lots of smaller files needs to be read and DB applications. The Raptor's strength isn't bandwidth, its random access time.

raptors won't make much difference in your load times. I have 2 in raid 0 and while windows loads a bit faster can't say everything else does. However it is a nice and quiet drive. If you have storage space then I would recommend getting it.

The only time I really notice a difference with HDD speed is when i'm heavily tasking them. for example, if my tv tuner is recording video while i'm playing a game and downloading. My system won't even hicup and I have my raptors to thank for it.

Are you limited to a mid tower? can you get a full tower case? I would get the antec 900 or a 1200 as you have some beefy components that could use the extra cooling.

kazeus

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
right, guys. so it seems like case need to be different for one and the ram maybe for the larger. the thing is tho that 3x2gb is almost 2 a s expensive and atm i think 3gb might be enough for me? case-wise i was hoping to seve few £££ but if the size difference is big then surely worth going for something bigger. regarding hdd thats all i needed to know. pretty much myself doing same stuff tv, download, games, music.
will the 900 add load more room comparing to 300?
to be honest i did not like the 900 much for the apperance the 300 looks much mor like it to me ;)

Taking a second look at the case specs, the antec 300 and 900 seem to be the same depth. The gtx is 10.5 inches and the case is 18 inches. I doubt the area for the drive bays is more then 6 inches deep so you should be good with the antec 300.

I would stick with the 3GB set for ram as that would allow you to run triple channel memory. You can always get 3 more later on or who knows mybe 12GB sets of 3 will be available cheap in a year or so.

kazeus

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
yah just check that out, the hight seems to be inch more or so for the 900 one.
thanks mate have the same hops for the ram eg. upgrade in future.
atm nearly 1500£ for new pc is enough by any standards. i unfortunately am not made out of money :p

do you think that tx750 will be enough for 2x gtx260 and oc`ed i7 920?

I think the Antec 300 will be just fine. It holds a full size ATX motherboard.
You could read through all 561 reviews on newegg to see if anybody had a problem with two vga cards. I suspect not.

I like the velociraptor for OS and fast data, and a slower drive for storage. The VR seemed a lot snappier when I first got one.

I would second the use of 2gb ram modules. I think a 6gb kit would be appropriate. I would favor more ram vs. faster ram.
A 2x2gb kit would be my second pick. 3gb is not eonough. Here are two studies:
http://www.corsairmemory.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gaming_Performance_Analysis.pdf
http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN811_Gaming_Performance%20Analysis_6GB_vs_3GB.PDF

Noctua and thermalright now sell good coolers with a 1366 mounting kit. Alternatively, you can get a 1366 mounting kit for several thermalright 775 coolers like the ultra 120 extreme. That is what I did, and it works well.

kazeus

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Noctua and thermalright now sell good coolers with a 1366 mounting kit. Alternatively, you can get a 1366 mounting kit for several thermalright 775 coolers like the ultra 120 extreme. That is what I did, and it works well.

is yours 920 as well? how far did you push it?

See my configuration for details.
I had no need to push for anything great. I am max at 3.33 which is all I need. I figured that the same chip in 965 form is safe at that speed. All I did was raise the bclk from 133 to 160, leaving everything else on automatic.

As to the ram, running 4 sticks vs. 2 is an issue on other non X58 motherboards. I did not want any issues on a new technology build. I think 6gb is about right. Going 2x2gb, planning on 2gb more later would be ok with a couple of caveats:

Make certain that the 2x2gb kit is 1.5v ram. There are some higher voltage 4gb kits out there, and anything over 1.65v may permanently damage your cpu.

A ram manufacturer can change the technology in their ram at any time, and still keep the same part number and specs. This may be a problem with some motherboards. I think it is better to stretch for a 6gb kit initially. Go for lower speed if necessary.

kazeus

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Zenthar youre absolutely correct virtually no gain!
altough the shop i intend to buy from only sells this:
corsair TR3X6G1333C9 and
ocz OCZ3P1333LV6GK
labeled as triple channel x58 ready sort of thing.
which one of the two sets would you go for?
they come in both 3x1gb and 3x2gb but i really am stretched now and would rather go for 3x1gb then upgrade to something like 3x2gb in few months. wot should i do?

Zenthar

Distinguished
The Corsair is CAS9, but only 1.5V, the OCZ is CAS7, but 1.65V.

The Corsair might OC more because is has more voltage "headroom", but out of the box the OCZ's lower latency might give it an edge.

I don't know how much of an impact CAS has on the performance now that the memory controller in in the CPU...

kazeus

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
hmm..
so with the ocz i will not be able to overclock the cpu as much as with the corsairs? is it right that when mhz goes up in the cpu it also goes up in ram and then both need more Voltage? i have never oc`ed before so i am a virgin! from what i understant i want the corsairs, right?

Zenthar

Distinguished
I have absolutely no clue how to OC an i7 :(

I think with the i7 you can OC the CPU without raising the memory clock, but I'm not sure.

When OCing RAM, you can raise the speed to a point (varies from RAM to RAM) without raising the voltage, but since the maximum safe voltage for i7 is 1.65V, the OCZ is already topped.

dugan

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
the problem with getting 2x2gb is that you really have to watch the voltage of the ram, the core i7 can only handle up to 1.65v so watch that