Sign in with
Your question

Bad SATA Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
May 25, 2010 4:44:11 PM

Hello,
I have a WD320 SATA HD that indicates one of its parameters is out of range.

What I want to do is "play" with this HD and try to reset the parameters and re-initialize the drive. Anyone got any ideas about what software might be available to do this?

More about : bad sata hard drive

a b G Storage
May 25, 2010 4:52:22 PM

What is telling you that a parameter is out of range? Which parameter?
m
l
May 25, 2010 5:39:42 PM

My paperwork is in another location, But I got the information when I ran the WD Lifegard utilities. The history is that the computer with the HD belonged to someone who was tired of fighting a problem and just gave the whole thing to me. I cleaned off their stuff and attempted to defrag. It ran for a few hours then just stopped (no message). I attached a new HD, removing the bad one, and the PC ran fine for several days. I added the bad drive back in and tried to reformat it. It stopped after getting to 80%. It now shows in BIOS but not in XP.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 25, 2010 6:18:28 PM

Let me ask you this... even if you could reset everything & make it work, would you trust this drive with any of your data?

Can you see it in windows disk management? At a minimum, you should remove & recreate the partition, then format it.
m
l
May 25, 2010 6:59:43 PM

gtvr said:
Let me ask you this... even if you could reset everything & make it work, would you trust this drive with any of your data?

Can you see it in windows disk management? At a minimum, you should remove & recreate the partition, then format it.

No I can not see it in windows disk management.

I do not trust any disk drive, even a brand new one, I backup my data frequently, professionally I backup all data I am responsible for daily.

What I am hoping to accomplish is to learn something. This drive has a problem, if I worked at WD I might have some software to investigate the problem futher. My hope is to find such software and see what I can learn.
m
l
!