I7 920 3.22 to 3.66ghz help.

Jaxx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Please bare with me on this. As you can see am new to this website and pretty much new to ocing.

Basically am new to all this OCing stuff and i dont understand and get certain terms so go easy on me.

I have found only a few website on how to reach 3.66ghz, most website show how to reach 3.2 or 4.0, but the writings and terms are all complicated to me.

I used this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8UkR-wwfsE&feature=watch_response to get to 3.2 and am i think my computer can handle it seeing i got a H50 corsair water cooler. real temp says my temps 34-31-36-32c I think thats good.

I found that youtube video good as it shows how to do it there and then. Where as the threads ive found dont have videos or pictures just jargon to me :\

I would love it if someone could post some pics of what i have to do in order to reach 3.66.

Am sorry if havnt explained enough but am looking for some with enough patience's to help me:)

I stress again, go easy on me.

EDIT: this link http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html is helping me, but would like pictures as well :\

Am using that cool link to help me understand terms.

To get an i7 920 to 3.6, you need:

Bclk of 180
CPU Multi of 20
Mem multi of 6 (for DDR3 1080) or 8 (for DDR3 1440)
The QPI Multi should be either 2X memory or 2X+1: So 12 or 13 for 1080 RAM, or 16 or 17 for 1440.

You will absolutely need to feed more voltage to your components to reach the speeds you are looking to obtain. Start low. Move in SMALL increments.

CPU: 1.2~1.35v is your range. Do Not Exceed 1.35v
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.8~2.1v is your range. Do not Overvolt
QPI/DRAM Voltage: 1.2~1.4v is your range: Must be within 0.5 volts of DRAM Bus Voltage.
DRAM Bus Voltage MAX 1.64v - us the figures specified by your Memory's maker.
Start slow, and work your way up - DO NOT Jump right to the end result. Keep your memory clocked low while you work on your processor speed.

And *UNDERSTAND THIS*

This is NOT A TRIVIAL OVERCLOCK AND IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING THEN THERE IS A CHANCE YOU CAN RUIN YOUR COMPUTER. NEITHER ME, NOR THE SITE WILL TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU SCREWING UP YOUR RIG.

Jaxx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Thanks very much, what you have mention there is similar to what I have done with the help of a friend. My temp reading according to real temp are 34-32-35-33, I assume that is decent enough, do you agree? I would rep you but dont know how :(

Those temperatures are fine :)

What I'm trying to stress is that - in order to reach your target - you're going to have to increase voltages from stock, and that you're going to have to be careful not to go too far or take too large jumps.

Now - The way this all works together is the Base Clock (bclk) efffects the entire system. This is the number that all of the other multipliers reference themselves to.

With Turbo Mode off, your CPU multiplier is 20. This can be decreased, but not raised any further. So for example: Let's say you have an intermediate target of 3.4Ghz. 3,400 divided by 20 = 170. So 170 is the Base Clock (bclk) you will have to use. in order to reach 3.4GHz

*BUT*

We know that the Base Clock also affects RAM speed. So what happens here?

With a Memory multi of 10: 170x10 = (DDR3) 1700.

Pretty Fast! So you're absolutely going to have problems if you don't have premium memory. Also - It's best to work on one subsection at a time because then you know where to look to solve any issues. If you overclock both memory and processor at once, you can't be sure, right? Not to mention you can always go back later on and raise the memory. So we need a smaller number - Let's try 8

8 x 170= 1360.

Hmm.... still an overclock, though you might be able to coax DDR3 1333 to do that. Still, if we can lower that further then we can eliminate memory as a source of trouble. So on an LGA1366 mobo, that leaves 6: 6 x 170 = 1020.

OK - So you set your bclk to 170. Your CPU Multi is already 20. And you set your memory multi to 6. That leaves the QPI link. This should be either two times the memory multi, or 2x plus 1. So your number here is 12 or 13.

OK - So: We've cranked up the base clock. But the memory and QPI subsections are loafing around and not working very hard at all. This is a GOOD thing, since you can be pretty sure that the blue screens you are probably experiencing at this speed are the result of your CPU Coltage and/or CPU PLL Voltage. So we'll bump those - ONE AT A TIME, and no more than 0.05 volts at a time. It may take a few attempts, but you'll get to a place where you can boot into Windows and maybe play a game for a while.

Are your Temps good? If so, then let's use programs like OCCT, LinX, and/or Prime 95 to really stress your computer. If it completes a few passes of LinX with no errors, and a long session (8 hours - if temps are OK, then it's fine to run it while you sleep) of Prime 95, again with no errors.. Then you can call it "stable".

You may then use this same logic to reach your 3.6 target. Maybe pause to stress test again at a bclk of 175 on the way to the 180 target you have. Then, once you have achieved your target processor speed, you may choose to go back and revisit RAM**.

Good Luck!

**be advised that memory overclocking buys very very little in terms of application performance and is a very significant source of instability. Strongly advice you don't sweat the last MHz from your memory.

Jaxx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
thanks for the help:)

I've noticed so many threads about the i7 920, i dont blame people for avoiding these threads now.