Sign in with
Your question

Help PLEASE! with AHCI driver install post Vista installation

Last response: in Motherboards
April 15, 2009 4:47:54 PM

Hello, I am new and I don't have any formal training or anything. I read whatever I can whenever I can to constantly learn more about pc problems I run into and I seem to have hit a snag. I recently installed Vista Ultimate 64bit and I knew I had to install AHCI drivers during the OS installation, but when I was installing Vista, it never prompted for third party driver. Everything works fine except I have two SATA ports that are just collecting dust inside. I really don't want to have to reinstall the OS and I've been reading upon it for about 2 hours now and I followed the microsoft suggestion about modifying the msshci to 0 in registry, but I don't think it worked. It was 4 before. SATA 1-4 are set to IDE and 1 is my boot drive. 5-6 are to be run only in AHCI or RAID mode. The MS support suggestion only works when the boot drive is the culprit. Is there any way to install AHCI drivers for 5,6, on the MB without reinstalling Vista? It's ASUS m3n78 Pro (not probably the best, but it's my backup PC and it was on sale)
Or, the better question is.....if I plug in the boot drive into 5 or 6, would it work? If it does, then do I have to plug something in the other (6 or 5) to make them both work? The non-boot drive in 5 or 6 works, then why wouldn't it work when I just plug in two storage drives in those ports?
I tried going into device manager to update driver, but there are so many option and they're kind of vague. How do I figure out which device is which? Would it be under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers? or Storage Controllers?

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI,
ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel0, ATA Channel 1, ATA Channel 1, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE (I don't know why, but there are two of each)

Under Storage Controllers,
ADQSLPPJ IDE Controller, Microsoft iSCSI Initiator, Silicon Image SiI 3132 SoftRaid 5 Controller, Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller.

I also have two PCI SATA controllers to accomodate eSATA and extra hard drives. Thanks!
I didn't want to mess it up by doing this and I wanted experts' opinions. I tried to be as clear as I could.
If you need additional info, let me know please. I'll be looking forward to hearing your solutions. Thanks in advance. Take care.

J
April 15, 2009 5:39:47 PM

You need to go in the BIOS and change the MCP Storage Config to AHCI. Vista already has the driver needed to enable AHCI in the operating system. After changing in the BIOS, then go into Reg. and follow Microsoft's suggestion.

I did the same thing. Installed Vista first, then enabled AHCI in the BOIS and followed MS suggestion. Then i had to reinstall my motherboard drivers for my SATA Controller to be installed.
April 15, 2009 5:55:03 PM

spinetap said:
You need to go in the BIOS and change the MCP Storage Config to AHCI. Vista already has the driver needed to enable AHCI in the operating system. After changing in the BIOS, then go into Reg. and follow Microsoft's suggestion.

I did the same thing. Installed Vista first, then enabled AHCI in the BOIS and followed MS suggestion. Then i had to reinstall my motherboard drivers for my SATA Controller to be installed.

There is that option in the BIOS. It's either IDE or RAID or AHCI. I don't believe that setting affects the ports that I am dealing with. The two ports that are not being used can ONLY be run in RAID or AHCI mode, says the manual. If this setting affected the ports 5 and 6, then they're already set to IDE , therefore shouldn't they already be working? I will go ahead and try your suggestion though. If you need to look at the manual, it's at http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelnam... Pro&SLanguage=en-us (For some reason, they decided to leave a space in the address and it's screwing everything up. When you click on the link, it takes you to M3N78 page, not M3N78 PRO. They are different and you need to add a space and 'Pro&SLanguage=en-us' at the end for the correct MOBO)
Thanks
!