Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Add on hard drive

Last response: in Storage
May 25, 2010 5:50:14 PM

I have an older Dell 2005 Media Edition 3.0ghz.I added a new hard drive to go with the boot drive.The boot drive is a crappy 80gb drive.The one I added was a Western Digital Velociraptor 300gb 10,000rpm.How do I get this drive to work.I have windows xp.As I said its an older system,what should I do? Should I change the drives around or leave them.The boot drive is sooo slow.I would rather use the v-rap.

More about : add hard drive

Best solution

a b G Storage
May 25, 2010 8:18:26 PM

You could use the WD Data Lifeguard Utilities or the WD version of Acronis True Image to clone the old HDD to the new one, then change the boot order inthe BIOS.
a c 342 G Storage
May 26, 2010 7:46:45 PM

I agree that using Acronis True Image WD Edition to make a clone of your old drive to the new one is the best route. However, you will need to pay attention to a few details.

1. BEFORE doing this, check what version of Win XP you are running. IF you are using the original version with NO Service Packs installed, it cannot use a HDD larger than 128 GB, and you MUST update it to at least SP1. I recommend you go all the way to the last version, SP3. However, check Microsoft's recommendations on that. At one time they recommended that you should do this sort of thing in two steps: update to SP2 first from whatever you have, THEN update from SP2 to SP3.

2. The best way to use that WD utility is to install it on your existing old hard drive after you have updated the XP version. Then it will be aware that you are using the latest XP.

3. READ the manual for that software. It does a lot and is very good, and cloning is only one part of it. You should be somewhat familiar with the menus used for the cloning operation.

4. Install the new 300 GB WD unit in your machine. IF it and your old drive are IDE units, make sure you set the jumpers for Master and Slave roles correctly. IF the new unit is a SATA drive, there are NO jumpers to set on it. However, if this 300 GB unit is SATA, you must check a couple of items in the BIOS Setup screens. One is to make sure the SATA port you are using is Enabled. The other is found near there - set the SATA port's Mode. Win XP in all versions does not know how to use a SATA unit without a driver, and I doubt you have one installed on your old drive. SO you make use of a handy trick in many BIOS's. The Port Mode usually has choices like IDE (or PATA) Emulation, native SATA, AHCI, or RAID. Set yours to IDE (or PATA) Emulation. This has the BIOS intervene and make your new SATA unit appear to Windows XP to be a plain older IDE drive it understands fully, and it all just works.

5. Launch the Acronis True Image WD Edition software and go to the Cloning menus. Make SURE that your DESTINATION unit is the new 300 GB WD, and the SOURCE unit is the older 80 GB unit. ALL data on the DESTINATION unit will be destroyed, so be sure that is the new one.

6. By default, this software often will try to make the Partition on the new drive the same size as the original one, leaving you with a lot of Unallocated Space on the large drive in which you could create additional Partitions to be used as separate drives. I bet you do NOT want this. I expect you want the 300 GB unit to be used as one large C: drive. So, look through the menus and find where you can manually set the size of the new Primary Partition being created, and set it to what you really want. I expect that, by default, it also will make this Partition Bootable, which is what you need.

7. Regarding Format options, I expect this default will be correct: use the NTFS File System. Then you choose between Full Format and Quick Format. Quick Format will do everything you need in 15 to 20 minutes. Full Format will do it all, too, BUT first it will run an exhaustive test of every part of the drive to find any bad sectors, and that takes MANY HOURS. I consider that unnecessary for a new drive, but a very good idea for a re-used unit. You can do it, anyway, if you have time - your choice.

8. Run the cloning task. When it's done you shut down the system and disconnect the power cord. Open the case. I recommend you disconnect both the power and data cables to the old 80 GB unit but leave it inside the case. Close up, reconnect power and boot directly into BIOS Setup. Go to the Boot Priority Sequence screen. Most people set theirs to try booting from their optical drive first, then the new 300 GB SATA unit second, and NO other options. Save and Exit to boot. You should find it all looks exactly like before, maybe a bit faster, but the C: drive is now HUGE!

Enjoy.

Later, after you're completely happy with the performance, you can reconnect the old 80 GB unit, use Acronis again to Delete its old Partition and Create a new non-bootable one to be used for data storage. OR, you could remove it entirely and move it to another computer or to a shelf of spare parts. OR you could mount it in a case and convert it to an external portable hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2010 8:33:42 PM

Best answer selected by seanny.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 27, 2010 3:35:59 AM

You're welcome, good work on your part..
m
l
!