Install new hardware in my sister's desktop without her knowing ;)

sagooding

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
My sister has a Desktop with an amd dual core processor but using onboard graphics while her motherboard has a PCI-E slot and she only has 1 gb of ram with 3 other ram slots free.

i am now forced to use this slow-ass computer because i am having technical issues. I have 3 other sticks of ram, each 1gb and a nvidia gts 250.

Is there a way to install this hardware without her knowing?

She knows very little about computers so i doubt she will notice the speed difference while she checks her email and facebook.

Will there be any other signs that she will be able to see and tell that i installed new hardware if i do install them?

All your answers are appreciated,
my regards,
sagooding

Solution
Play the nice-guy and give it all to her as a gift. Of course she'll want it installed.

Don't fret about your loss of hardware, she's letting you use her computer.
Cheaper than buying your own to plug that stuff into.

Edit: You did ask a question and I didn't give an answer..

Will there be any other signs that she will be able to see and tell that i installed new hardware if i do install them?
There may be a tray icon that shows up for the video card options. The memory will need to be manually looked up if she is going to find it. The tray icon is easily passed of as something that 'just showed up' so I think you're safe. I don't think non-technical girls look behind their computer and understand a lot of...
Play the nice-guy and give it all to her as a gift. Of course she'll want it installed.

Don't fret about your loss of hardware, she's letting you use her computer.
Cheaper than buying your own to plug that stuff into.

Edit: You did ask a question and I didn't give an answer..

There may be a tray icon that shows up for the video card options. The memory will need to be manually looked up if she is going to find it. The tray icon is easily passed of as something that 'just showed up' so I think you're safe. I don't think non-technical girls look behind their computer and understand a lot of what cable is plugged in where, so she won't notice the video is now plugged into a different place than before.

Go for it, you're making the computer better, not worse.

Solution

sagooding

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

Thank you very much for the help. ill install windows 7 on the desktop first so that even if there is *** remote chance that she notices new tray icons from the graphics adapter dirvers she'll just pass it off as something new. Thanks for the help again.

sagooding

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

one last question. if i have to remove the graphics card and the ram one day. will i just be able to remove and and revert to using the motherboard's onboard graphics without any issues at all ?

It would be best to 'uninstall' the PCIe card from Windows, and re-boot.
Enter the BIOS setup and reconfigure your BIOS to use the internal video card as first choice again.
Actually, when you install the PCIe card, you should set the BIOS to use that card as primary display adapter as soon as you plug it in for the first time to have Windows use it.