Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Hello, I just put together my new computer:
i5 2500k - cpu
Asus p8p67 pro - motherboard
2x4gb vengeance 1333ghz - ram
radeon 5750 - graphics card
2tb seagate - hard drive

My goal is to get windows 7 on my computer, however in order to do that I have to install windows xp because my windows 7 is an upgrade. So when I pop in my windows xp install disk it boots but will not boot to my install disk. In order to get it to boot I have to go into my BIOS and tell it to boot from disk. As soon as I do that it goes to disk... goes a while then I get the terrible BSOD with the stop: 0x00000007b error... I have gone through quite a few forums but a lot of the answers didn't seem to fit my situation.

Just somethings I have done:
1) I noticed in my bios that my processor climbs to 70C, I thought this might be my problem but after looking around many people said it was normal in bios to hit those high temps( not sure though).
2) My dad told me to try installing windows 7 straight from the upgrade. We both knew that it would fail after installing because it was the upgrade disk, but we wanted to see how far we could it. It went all the way through the install without error but as expected didn't work because it was an upgrade.
3) Thought it may be a RAM problem but in BIOS I am picking up all 8gbs and my motherboard isn't giving me any errors with it.
4) I have seem some people said to fix the problem by going into the drivers and turning it to RAID. Even though I am not running RAID I tried it anyway and as expected it didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas short of buying a new OS? I really would prefer to upgrade it because I have the disks already. Could it be hardware failure? I know the old P67 boards had some terrible problems.

Didn't the Win 7 installer (Setup) instruct you to put the XP disk in the CD drive to verify you are upgrading an upgradeable product? It isn't usually necessarily to have the system to be upgraded actually installed.

Your XP cd... is it an OEM disk? If so, installing XP won't do you any good anyway.

willduren

Distinguished
May 13, 2011

I used to be able to do that with my Vista upgrade but with windows 7 you can't just pop in the xp CD.

I know installing Xp and then upgrading works because I was able to do that on my old computer. The only thing I have found since last night is that since I am running Sata hard drives xp won't be able to see them because my motherboard doesn't have the drivers. Most fixes to this problem involved floppies but since I don't have a usb floppy drive I can't do that. The only fix I found was using nlite, however, even using nlite I still get the stop 0x00000007b error on install.

There is another thread on that board and it's inability to install an operating system HERE.

willduren

Distinguished
May 13, 2011

Naw that wasn't my error. I ended up find the problem and solution. Turns out my motherboard doesn't come with the on board drivers for windows xp to see my Sata drives. Most people solve that problem by putting their drivers onto a floppy and then f6 in install and install third party drivers. However, my new mobo doesn't support floppies. I then found two solutions. One was using nlite and writing my install disk to a new cd which would also have the sata drivers. I tried that method but ruined the CD so I went with method two. Turns out windows 7 has a loop that you can go around and trick into thinking xp is installed and it allows the upgrade to work. Thanks for the tips though!