I7 930 HOT A LOT.

G

Man i with some trouble here, io have a I7 930, Asus P6TD Delux and a Zalman 9700NT Cooler...

I decided buy a zalman cooler because with a box cooler i got 80º at full load. without overclock.
Fine... I changed the cooler and now with stock cores i have good temps i belive.

Idle:
Core1: 38º
Core2: 34º
Core3: 38º
Core4: 33º

At load:
Core1: 62º
Core2: 59º
Core3: 60º
Core4: 56º

but...

When i try overclock my system i got really high temps again.
With 4ghz temps jump to 90º + easily with a 1.3vcore!

CPU configuration:
Intel Core I7 930, P6TD Delux, Corsair HX 1000Watts, HD 5870 1gb GDDR5. Zalman 9700NT.

Thanks!

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
That cooler just doesn't cut it when it comes to overclocking an i7. When overclocked, especially to 4+GHz, with anything other than stock voltage, will use a lot of power and displace ridiculous amounts of heat (you're looking at between 150-200w), and that Zalman, though good for its time, just can't keep up with newer, hotter components.

I would take a look at frostytech.com ; they have extensive reviews of just about every CPU cooler you can think of, plus hundreds more.

For a large, full tower case, I'd recommend the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme or the Noctua DH-14. Mid tower, I'd go with a Core Contact Freezer. Anything smaller, and you'll have to check FrostyTech's list of coolers sorted by size.

I can almost guarantee the problem is with poor contact. My CPU wasn't totally flat so it was really bad contact, on my i5 750 I was getting high 70s under load. I did some lapping on the CPU to get it nice and flat and now under load I'm in the high 40s low 50s. Makes a huge difference. And I'm using the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, and OCed to 3.6ghz.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

I doubt it. Your Zalman (CNPS10X) is a much more recent, much bigger cooler, so it can adequately cool these new CPUs that pump out these crazy heat loads. The 9700 is an older design that was released in 2006, when Core 2 Duos were all the rage, and Quads were just getting their start. These older processors didn't produce nearly as much heat as the i7's and i5's do when overclocked.

This, I seriously doubt. Lapping with 1000 grit sandpaper on both my old Xeon processor and a ZEROtherm BTF95 to perfectly flat finishes reduced temperatures by about 4C, which is average for lapping. Check out this article from TechPowerUP, making sure to read the second point: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/cooling/air/39

No, it's true. When I removed the heat sink which I had had installed at the store by "pros", the thermal paste was well spread on the CPU but on the HS there was basically a blob on one side and a fairly narrow band down the middle, so only about 40% of it was actually in contact on the CPU. I lapped the CPU and the first part to wear was indeed in that exact shape. Not sure how that's hard to believe, if it's out of flat by a half a millimeter it's not going to have very good contact. I had one CPU at ok temps and the other three were way, way too hot (most was 12C higher). Now they're all within about 2-3C of each other.