Weird beeping

motorcyclemike

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hello everyone I recently got a new computer and its been a lot of fun but I get this weird rapid beeping when I first start it up. It does it for about five seconds or so and then stops, sometimes it waits a few seconds and then does it again sometimes not at all. I have never received any error messages or have it shut off on me but it is worrisome

I have monitored my temps in bios and my gpu and cpu temps seem fine but my motherboard temp is sometimes in the low to mid 40's and i'm not so sure if thats high or not. I have a i7 920 2.66GHZ, GIGABYTE X58 GA-EXUD4P, Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3, Thermaltake Tough Power 1000 watt, EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 285 and Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
check your motherboard manual but it's possibly the self check tests, Mine I think makes a single beep if everything's alright I can't remember. if there was a problem I expect that there would be an error message. Double check with the manual but that's my thoughts

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

That there's a beep code. Listen to what the pattern is, and consult with the motherboard manual as to what it's trying to tell you. You can find beep codes on the internet, too. But because your computer boots to Windows, and is stable, it's probably nothing to worry about. You could always unplug the internal speaker plug from your motherboard so that you don't need to listen to it every time you boot. Those temperatures are fine, by the way. Good luck (and have fun with that system!!). :bounce:

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

You're correct. A single beep means that it POSTed succesfully. I'm surprised you have a beeper (your system is VERY modern) - most cases these days don't have one (mine doesn') but I find it a nuisance anyway because in the past I have found it can wake up family members if you're staying up late and your room is next to theirs, or you left your door open etc. :p

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Oh. The hardware config in your signature is a LIE and is DECEIVING as you haven't even bought the parts yet. A little dishonest of you. I actually had to go into your profile to find what parts you REALLY had - which are older parts and explain my confusion over why your computer has a beeper.