Sign in with
Your question
Closed

120Hz HDTV: Upsampling Low Frame Rate Content. Need Video Card!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2009 10:34:14 PM

Yes! My first post to a question I couldn't solve from my own research! Bring the info please. These forums are awesome.

~~

I'm putting together a mini computer, to connect with 1 plug/HDMI to the HDTV (including audio). The TV is a 120 Hz HDTV, that is, the screen will refresh 120/second.

The little box has an Intel E7300 Chip, 4GB DDR5300, a 7200RPM SATA2, and micro ATX card, all in a little Antec Cube with 350W power, and it will be running Vista Home Premium 64. It might get a blue ray player at a later date; for now, I'll be downloading HD movies (such as mkv, x264, etc.) if I need them. (Ok, the last part I'm making up on the fly, I'm not really sure what content I'll be playing, but I figure I'll be able to download or borrow any content once the system gets built).

I'll be using the system for movies, basic computer apps, and probably for some Games or relatively intense graphics stuff (programs like MAYA/polygon/CAD).

~~

--> The last variable in the system is a Video Card, and I'm concerned with movie frame rate upsampling <--

So here, my primary question relates to the fact that the TV will be playing at 120Hz refresh, and most of the video content I will get will be at 24FPS, or generally, much lower FPS than my TV will be capable of. I want my TV to be showing video images to its full potential, not just sitting with the same still for 5 frames because I'm playing a 24FPS video I downloaded. I want smoothing to take place.

I want my video card to interpolate (YES, INTERPOLATE) between frames, just like TV's are doing via DSP/DISP chip onboard. I'd prefer not to pay the extra money on a chip inside the TV if I can get the video card to do the same thing, and have more control.

~~

>>This is what the TV Manufacturers are calling it now a days...
Typically, manufacturers are coupling 120Hz with a video-processing feature that is designed to eliminate judder in film-based (24 frame-per-second) material. This is often referred to as a "smoothing" feature, and companies have come up with different marketing-friendly names for it. Sony calls it Motion Flow, Samsung's is dubbed Movie Plus, Sharp's is TrueD, and Toshiba's is Film Stabilization, and some work better than others. (taken from Six things you need to know about 120Hz LCD TVs)
<<

I've seen it at Fry's Electronics (Electronics store in USA) and there is quite a difference.

~~

So, here is my problem... Which video cards will upsample my frames so that the picture looks smooth on my TV when I'm playing low-frame rate movies (such as HULU, or a 24FPS tv show I downloaded that I'd rather see at 120Hz with smooth transitions between frames.

I know the HDMI will send out a 120Hz signal, so I'd like for my video card to do as much as possible to upsample the video so that I have a nice, clear picture on screen. From my research the ATI cards seem to have the most HDMI features, but I cannot find the terminology or feature set that would. It can be described as smoothing between different frames and predicting the motion between each frame so that a interpolated frame can be displayed.

~~

Bottom Line...

How do I find a video card that has the capability to Interpolate, or Upsample, my Video Content up to 120Hz in a case with a 350W power supply?
September 14, 2010 5:17:23 PM

there is a difference between a refresh rate of 120 hrtz and a 24 fps(Frames Per Second.

Electricity from the wall comes in at 60 hrtz, 120 hrtz is in the 3D arena if you have the right computer equiptment or DVD player.

I believe. 24 fps is a film rate TV is close to 30( 29.97 a shade less to permit colour) most gamers run higher frame rates 60 plus depending on bandwidth and action. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Your system will do a fine job of showing features at the frame rate intended and make all the tweening required

a c 271 U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 7:11:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!