XP won't install and I ain't got the original disks...

WebBadAss

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I have a valid COA but not the restore disks. I have several windows install disks but they don't work. Obviously my main problem is that I don't have the dell windows install - the restore CD's that owners should make when they get their new computer. Its not my fault as it was not my computer when it was new...

My neighbor bought this Latitude c620 from his wife's employer when they got new machines on lease so no backup was made. Last year he bought Windows 7 and reformatted when he reinstalled so XP partition is gone.

NOW - he bought a new computer when 7 started giving him problems so I inherited the computer. It will not boot from my XP installer disks so even though I have a valid COA I cant get the software on there. BUT - I did successfully install Ubuntu Linux on the machine and everything works so its not hardware.

Anyone know a means to get those disks without contacting Dell? I doubt it. They wont make it easy...

Since I don't think its likely they will sell me one - I have to get mine working - how can I get this thing to use my disk? Anyone have an idea why would it not install from a disk i have used many times before?

WebBadAss

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. Ok - found the model of the controller and a couple of things on the dell site (None of which are critical) but from what i can see they all require XP working to be installed. they wont install from Ubuntu from what i can tell and even if they did - none seem to be a driver for the sata bus or chipset... How would i install these if i dont have XP working? Put them on a jump drive or something?

WebBadAss

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
That sounds about right. I am just not sure how to apply this driver without having windows already installed. It wont take my XP disk and even though Ubuntu is working I dont think it will run a windows .exe file. I do have a usb floppy drive (wonder if i can find any floppies). When and how would i access that USB floppy drive during boot up? Thanks.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
the usb drive will be used during the windows boot by pressing F6 button when it prompts to install additional drivers for sata or raid during the boot. However insure that your cd drive is set as first boot in your bios or it will attempt to read the hard drive first.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Oh i totally forgot that some laptops have a really weird problem with not reading CDs at boot and require it to be a dvd instead and some are the otherway around. This alone could be your issue ^.^ If it won't read your cd try to copy it to your computer into ISO format then transfer it back to a DVD so it will pick up. I've had to do this to about 40-50 computers for the same issue. Something about not being able to read CD ram and rom boot drives due to the change of dvd burners.

WebBadAss

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Will do - the disk i have has been used 30 or 40 times (with valid coa's of course) - BUT since i don't know this machine or its hardware it is possible that you are right and a DVD copy of my XP install is a fairly cheap option to try. Thanks - I will let you know.