Multi-Boot Troubles - XP / ME Please Help

Please, please help. I have a Compaq computer with 2
hard drives on it. One is partitioned (C:,E:), the other
is not (D:). On the C: drive I have Windows ME on FAT32
(upgraded from 98 that came with the computer), on the E:
drive I just installed Windows XP Professional on NTFS
(the D: drive is just for storage, but that is NTFS
also). I recently got a virus that wiped out ME's system
files. I reinstalled it which damaged the XP system root
on the C: drive which caused me to lose my boot menu. I
reinstalled the XP to repair that, and now I am left with
an error whenever I try to boot up Windows ME. The
message is the infamous "Load needed DLLs for Kernel". I
tried all the repairs and reinstallations. All I want to
know is what DLLs are physically located in
the "system32" folder on the ME (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32)
side? I will get the files that are missing and put them
there myself since reinstalling or repairing doesn't seem
to work. Please help if you can, I greatly appreciate
the info. Thanks in advance.

aL
8 answers Last reply
More about multi boot troubles help

    What steps did you use to reinstall XP. Did you begin setup from the ME
    desktop or did you boot from the XP CD and run a new install?

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "AL R" <cuzzin_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Please, please help. I have a Compaq computer with 2
    > hard drives on it. One is partitioned (C:,E:), the other
    > is not (D:). On the C: drive I have Windows ME on FAT32
    > (upgraded from 98 that came with the computer), on the E:
    > drive I just installed Windows XP Professional on NTFS
    > (the D: drive is just for storage, but that is NTFS
    > also). I recently got a virus that wiped out ME's system
    > files. I reinstalled it which damaged the XP system root
    > on the C: drive which caused me to lose my boot menu. I
    > reinstalled the XP to repair that, and now I am left with
    > an error whenever I try to boot up Windows ME. The
    > message is the infamous "Load needed DLLs for Kernel". I
    > tried all the repairs and reinstallations. All I want to
    > know is what DLLs are physically located in
    > the "system32" folder on the ME (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32)
    > side? I will get the files that are missing and put them
    > there myself since reinstalling or repairing doesn't seem
    > to work. Please help if you can, I greatly appreciate
    > the info. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > aL

    Wow...thank you for the super fast response. I first
    tried using the repair console from a DOS prompt but that
    wouldn't work. At this point I can't even boot into ME
    so I ran the setup from the XP desktop. The XP CD is
    version 2002 for a clean install, but when I put it in,
    it gave me an upgrade option so I just chose that so I
    wouldn't lose what I already had done with XP. After it
    collected all the info, it restarted the computer booted
    into the setup console and finished the install that
    way. At first I was also missing the AUTHZ.DLL, hal.dll,
    Kernel32.dll, and ntdll.dll, but when I got those errors,
    I just copied those files from the system32 folder from
    within XP (E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32), pasted them into the ME
    system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) and that got me
    past those errors at least. This latest error doesn't
    tell me what dlls I'm missing.

    aL

    Well, that's the problem, you have reestablish your ME setup, then run XP
    install from the ME desktop in order for XP to properly create the boot
    manager. What you did, installing, even an upgrade to your present XP setup
    won't accomplish that.

    However, now that you've done this, I'm not sure how this will work even if
    you can reestablish the ME setup because there will be boot information on
    both partitions.

    You could try using third party software such as Partition Magic,
    www.powerquest.com to establish the dual boot but in order to allow XP to do
    this, you must have a 9x system, 98SE or ME, installed and accessible, then
    install XP and setup must begin from the 9x desktop.

    --

    > Wow...thank you for the super fast response. I first
    > tried using the repair console from a DOS prompt but that
    > wouldn't work. At this point I can't even boot into ME
    > so I ran the setup from the XP desktop. The XP CD is
    > version 2002 for a clean install, but when I put it in,
    > it gave me an upgrade option so I just chose that so I
    > wouldn't lose what I already had done with XP. After it
    > collected all the info, it restarted the computer booted
    > into the setup console and finished the install that
    > way. At first I was also missing the AUTHZ.DLL, hal.dll,
    > Kernel32.dll, and ntdll.dll, but when I got those errors,
    > I just copied those files from the system32 folder from
    > within XP (E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32), pasted them into the ME
    > system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) and that got me
    > past those errors at least. This latest error doesn't
    > tell me what dlls I'm missing.
    >
    > aL

    Actually that's it. Thank you. I can start by
    installing ME from a command prompt using the boot disk.
    After that completes, I'll install the XP again from
    within ME. With any luck, it may still hold all my
    settings and configurations. I was hoping to just put
    those missing dlls into the system folder and be done
    with it, but I guess that was just wishful thinking.
    Thank you for your advice with this. I did try one thing
    in between posts. On another forum I read something
    about typing SFC /SCANNOW at the DOS prompt with the XP
    cd in. I haven't restarted yet to see if that works. It
    probably won't because it sounds like that too would only
    rebuild the XP system files.

    aL

    That won't fix the boot issue, it will only replace corrupted or missing
    system files.

    --

    > Actually that's it. Thank you. I can start by
    > installing ME from a command prompt using the boot disk.
    > After that completes, I'll install the XP again from
    > within ME. With any luck, it may still hold all my
    > settings and configurations. I was hoping to just put
    > those missing dlls into the system folder and be done
    > with it, but I guess that was just wishful thinking.
    > Thank you for your advice with this. I did try one thing
    > in between posts. On another forum I read something
    > about typing SFC /SCANNOW at the DOS prompt with the XP
    > cd in. I haven't restarted yet to see if that works. It
    > probably won't because it sounds like that too would only
    > rebuild the XP system files.
    >
    > aL

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    I just want to clarify, SFC /Scannow will not resolve the boot issue.

    --

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:eDyFxVdHEHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > That won't fix the boot issue, it will only replace corrupted or missing
    > system files.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Actually that's it. Thank you. I can start by
    >> installing ME from a command prompt using the boot disk.
    >> After that completes, I'll install the XP again from
    >> within ME. With any luck, it may still hold all my
    >> settings and configurations. I was hoping to just put
    >> those missing dlls into the system folder and be done
    >> with it, but I guess that was just wishful thinking.
    >> Thank you for your advice with this. I did try one thing
    >> in between posts. On another forum I read something
    >> about typing SFC /SCANNOW at the DOS prompt with the XP
    >> cd in. I haven't restarted yet to see if that works. It
    >> probably won't because it sounds like that too would only
    >> rebuild the XP system files.
    >>
    >> aL

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're right...it sure didn't. But actually by that error
    message, it sounded like that it was only the system files
    that are missing in the first place. I guess I'll just
    try like you said, and reinstall the ME, then log onto ME
    and reinstall XP. I just wanted to avoid all that.
    Thank you again for the help.

    aL

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're welcome, good luck.

    --

    > You're right...it sure didn't. But actually by that error
    > message, it sounded like that it was only the system files
    > that are missing in the first place. I guess I'll just
    > try like you said, and reinstall the ME, then log onto ME
    > and reinstall XP. I just wanted to avoid all that.
    > Thank you again for the help.
    >
    > aL

Configuration Windows XP