Closed Solved

Need help finding new board

Alright, I am looking for a good motherboard between $100-$400 Want the biggest bang for the buck. Currently I am using

W7 64 bit
Intell core quad Q9550 2.83 GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 470-Currently Over clocking at 14%
4Gb DDR3 ram
My plan is this,

I have a 1000W power supply, I plan to add a second GTX470 this summer, Upgrade to a higher grade Ram, New motherboard with 2 PCI express-2.0 slots, I have two HD I use. The card I am already expecting another $390 give or take price drop in the next three months, I was really wanting to get a EVGA board to match with my GTX 470. But if I can figure out a better board, i'll go with what's the best for a good price.

Anyways, Give me some feed back, I'll still be OC my GTX an if possible will be looking to OC my Q9550 about 5%.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need finding board
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

U have a good processor, but with the budget that u have u can go for a i5 and a new mobo, with that U can get a very solid rig.
  2. Yea, I like it, it's been a solid processor so far. I'll check out the I5, Any idea of a good Mobo?
  3. For the i5, a very good mobo is the MSI P55-GD65.
  4. Would this Mobo be compatible with my current chip set? I also did not see it say it was PCI express 2.0.
  5. No, your current CPU is socket 775 and the GD65 is socket 1156.
  6. Got cha, I found a I5 quad 2.33 Ghz for a little under $200. Read a few reviews that it's very possible to get it up to 3.6 GHz over clocked with a good Cooling set up. Is there a board I can use with my current CPU an over clock it to match the I5?
  7. Just for clarify, Do u have DDR3 or DDR2?
  8. DDR2 for my ram, But I plan to upgrade to a higher end Ram.
  9. This ASUS P5Q Pro is a very good mobo for the 775 socket, BUT the problem is that only support Crossfire
  10. What does that translate into? I am alright with computers, But not super awsome.
  11. Think that is my current board, Only has 1 PCI express slot
  12. Alright, I thought it was the same, The board you linked was the "pro" version the one I have is the standard ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Sorry if I'm being a pain, Just trying to figure out my best options, I am thankful for your assistance.
  13. That means that U can't use two GPU with nVidia chipset in SLI, because the mobo only support Crossfire that is tow GPU with chipset ATI.
  14. So basically, Cause I am using a 775 I will need to upgrade my processor to match a Mobo that can handle two GPU's?
  15. No, with the mobo of my link you can use two GPUs. BUT only can use two ATI GPUs, not two nVidia GPUs.
  16. Crap, I just bought this Nvidia card, So I need to continue using it. Which would you suggest for my card type?
  17. For your card, the mobo that I link is the best option that u can get. Or upgrade to i5, 1156 mobo and DDR3 that can support SLI.
  18. Alright, So if I upgrade to I5 an DDR3 which mobo would you say?
  19. Best answer
    MSI P55-GD65 or ASUS P7P55D Pro, both are very good mobos.
  20. Alright, thanks a ton for all the information. Was a big help.
  21. Any time, that's why we are here.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking Product