Trouble installing Dell drivers

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Hi for some reason i don't understand i can't seem to install drivers for a Dell Dimension 3000 which are located here http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&catid=5&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=DSWXD1S&SystemID=DIM_CEL_3000&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False
It downloads an application. That is what it says the file is but nothing happens with it. I am wanting to get the audio and network drivers. The others were installed by the person that gave me this computer as he stated. I have done the latest windows updates. I think i made a mistake with the first time i downloaded the file in that it wanted to be opened by a program and i accidentally chose IE. This does nothing that leads anywhere. Not used to the awkward mouse i was given so thats how the mistake was made. Now i can't seem to try anything else. I looked at the Dell AU website and it seems they have the same way of doing drivers. There was a mention on the site of making an iso of the drivers. I gather that is a cd/dvd of just drivers to boot from. Anyway the instructions on that site don't explain how to do it so the help section is useless. Can anyone help as i am sure i installed drivers for another 3000 model a few weeks ago and i didn't see this type of file. I am sure i downloaded exe's? Appreciate any help :0)

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Yep but can i trust this site? I am used to either the manufacturers site or driverguide. Although i don't use driverguide anymore because they started charging for the drivers

Here is what you need, and what Dell won't tell you.
Install the "Dell download manager" first, then restart the computer.
Now download dell drivers.

Ahhh, but there are two more things...
turn off the security, firewall, antivirus when installing a driver. restart after installing each driver. install the drivers in the order dell tells you to install them.

after you are done installing the last driver, restart and turn all the security stuff back on.

It's a really bad idea to download drivers from a third party. Get the drivers from the manufacturer website.

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Ok i thought there must have been a download manager. Yeah i tried that cnet driver and it didn't work anyway. It wasn't infected so i hope this machine is safe.
OK i am looking for the Dell Download Manager but so far can't find it by googling and the dell site. I did find a page that says i need the NET framework and NET assistant so i am getting them now.
Gee Dell is making it difficult now then to do things that way. I am sure i installed drivers for the same model not that long ago. Most of the drivers for this machine are already installed but i guess if i have to i will do the whole thing from scratch as you instructed...thanks

I just reinstalled XP on an old Dell laptop and got all the drivers easily from inputting the Service Tag at Dell's site. There are two Download options - one to include their DM and the other to use your browser and the latter is the better option. Follow the path to the R****.exe file, double click it and watch where it puts the unzipped files then Setup follows automatically.

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Yes that is what i saw on the sire but the downloaded item is not a zip file or an exe, It is as i stated> i can do nothing with it to make it usable.

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Oh there was a system change ok. I dunno. the site looks completely different. So what do i do with the downloaded item?

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Doesn't have an extension. I think it said something about it being an application but i didn't understand. I have been a linux user for years so i don't know some windows things and others i have simply forgotten. I have enabled view extensions and i clicked the properties of the file and it just said application

no, I had the same problem there. you need to use IE or Firefox, dell download manager doesn't work with any other browsers. (it will ask you to accept installing an extension to your browser). it's stupid like that, but we all know how retarded dell can be sometimes.

the file in question that you get has a .application extension, which is a non-standard pointer to which files the Dell's DDM needs to download.

I take your point but the DDM is harmless - I have it on my machine but I don't allow it on customer's systems so I use their browser to download. I can then download more than one file at a time and indeed, install more than one device at a time so it's as quick as using their DDM.

One DDM that does annoy me though is Adobe's.

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
As i said i double clicked it and the browser open with code included inside. Nothing happens! Nothing is installed. Goes nowhere!!!
I do not have the download manager as i said a couple of times. I don't know where to get it. Download it from. Went everywhere on the net with no success. This machine is going to part of a huge amount of machines into a container to go to a charity. I just do initial assessment of hardware and software then everything gets checked over by a professional when they get to their destination. I am just an amateur helping out a 2 person charity :0)

Go back to Dell's site and download the driver again and the DM will be available to you - just make sure you click to go down that route and not to use your own browser. AntiZig reckons that will enable the file you have but get a fresh download just in case it's a different type of file.

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I have gone back several times on different days and it is the same. The file type and name of the file is always the same. What do you mean by not using my browser? I tried using firefox and IE. I have another machine (Linux) and i could download it via that then transfer it via a usb stick? Is that what you mean?

rapattack

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Yes but will anything work with Linux?
Anyway it just occurred to me that i could just install linux on this machine as that will work. Windows yukkky lol

ShridharAtDell

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hi

If you still have any issues getting the drivers installed, please PM me your system service tag and the contact details, will be glad to help.

Regards
Shridharatdell