Overclocking 955 and the 5970

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello all,

1) I am wondering if I can get a 955 and not have it bottleneck a 5970?
2) Now if it will how much should I overclock it (keeping in mind that I am thinking of getting a 750W corsair psu)
3) Will the CM hyper 212 fit with the 955 and be a good choice?
4) If instead of a 5970 I got 2 5870, will the CPU bottle neck be worst? If so whats the OC range I'm looking at?
5) Should I just get a i5-750 instead!?

Thanks!

Solution
Bottlenecks can't really get worst. Cards don't slow down if you add more graphics cards. Just imagine cards idling for the CPU.

CPU does geometry, wireframe, possibly physics, and other of post rendering calculations before the cards get a shot at it. If the CPU is calculating at 60FPS then that is all you will ever get. Having more cards will never hurt that.

A phenom II would power most games beyond 60FPS. The only game that can be in question is starcraft 2 and other RTS games which are heavily CPU oriented.

There are settings that require no additional work from your CPU and you can always up those like AA, AF, tesselation, shadows, and occlusions.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Bottlenecks can't really get worst. Cards don't slow down if you add more graphics cards. Just imagine cards idling for the CPU.

CPU does geometry, wireframe, possibly physics, and other of post rendering calculations before the cards get a shot at it. If the CPU is calculating at 60FPS then that is all you will ever get. Having more cards will never hurt that.

A phenom II would power most games beyond 60FPS. The only game that can be in question is starcraft 2 and other RTS games which are heavily CPU oriented.

There are settings that require no additional work from your CPU and you can always up those like AA, AF, tesselation, shadows, and occlusions.

Solution