Sign in with
Your question

The infamous Windows 7 internet connection slowdown

Last response: in Toms Network
February 4, 2010 4:59:57 AM

Well, in the research I did, I found this to be a VERY common issue. my 15 meg connection, is getting 2 megs!

Since I know I will be asked, here is some important information:

Virus=no
Malware=no
Spyware=no
Any other malcicios program=no
Signal=VERY good (not just very good, I am inches from the router)
Speed on other computers=15meg, well about 12, at the SAME TIME as I am doing the test on my laptop, AS WELL as before, and after
Other computers using bandwidth=no
Someone stealing my bandwidth to download=no
ME downloading something in the background I am not aware of=no
Receive and transmit buffers-512 (I already tried that)
Global Autotuning=disabled(Tried that too)

I am running windows 7 64 ultimate on a dual 2.1 amd with 3 gig of ram.

Now: Here are the interesting things I have noticed:
When I first reboot, my connection if fast enough to get 11-12 megs at speedtest.net. The second speed test is usually at 2. If the second isn't the 3rd or 4th is.

I disable the wireless adaptor (Turn switch off) and plug in a wired connection, I get 11 megs.

I disconnect the wired, and re-enable the wireless, I get 11-12 megs for one speed test, then again it drops.

The wireless network card is atheros AR5B91 using digitally signed drivers from Microsoft (Installed by 7)

So, has anyone solved this one yet?
February 4, 2010 5:08:14 AM

Wanted to add 2 other steps I took, just to see.

Moved laptop away from router in case I was TOO close (Yea, its crazy, but stranger things have happened)=yes
Optimized setting with speedtest.net speed optimizer=yes
Disabled firewall=yes (This is irrelevant anyway, as the speed works well over wired)
February 5, 2010 4:39:51 AM

Well man, is the wireless adapter a USB 1.0 adapter or USB 2.0 ? Do you have it plugged into a USB 1.0 or one of the newer higher speed USB ports? Either way though man the reason your connection is slower using a wireless adapter is because of the bottleneck that USB wireless adapters have on their max speed. A wired connection is without a doubt faster than a wireless when the internet connection is fast enough of a connection to end up bottlenecking the USB interface. But I would figure that when USB 3.0 becomes more common and they start also making adapters that work with USB 3.0 then the bottleneck issue should stop.

USB 2.0 has a max speed is 480Mbps where as USB 1.0 max speed is only 12Mpbs here's a link that breaks things down a bit for ya.

http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm#4

But since Ethernet has speeds up to 100Mbps I'd assume that you have your USB wireless device plugged into a USB 1.0 port VS. using a 2.0 port.

Here's another link you may or may not find useful.
http://www.lyberty.com/tech/terms/usb.html
Related resources
February 5, 2010 9:53:45 AM

Nope. Not the case, before Windows 7, I was transferring between my wireless laptop and other computers at about 50mbps (I am connected at 54mbps most of the time) the wireless card is built into the laptop, and the laptop is quite new. This means that assuming it is on a usb bus, its a 2.0 or 3.0 bus, but would assume its most likely on a pci bus. Either way, that's not the issue, and would also not account for why, immediately upon reboot, I get 12mbps. If the max speed was 12mbps, I would be able to get perhaps 10. Assuming I was able to do the impossible and squeeze every bit of throughput from a 1.1 connection, it would not account for the times I am lucky enough to get 13meg or even 14 from the speedtest.
February 6, 2010 8:13:10 AM

Here's something I think that you may be misunderstanding so here's a link to a site that converts different types of Data for you. For example "Mbps" isn't teh same thing as MB's so when your PC is reading 54Mbps in the bottom right corner of your PC that only equals a max of 6.75MB's so obviously you wouldn't be able to achieve a higher speed than that if your card is only reading 54Mbps in the bottom right corner.

54 Mbps
= 405.00 MB/min
= 6.75 MB/s - This one right here is the measurement that speedtest shows
= 54.00 Mbps
= 6.44 MiB/s
= 24.30 GB/h

http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp?speed=54&unit...
February 6, 2010 8:52:14 AM

Shadow Wizard said:
Nope. Not the case, before Windows 7, I was transferring between my wireless laptop and other computers at about 50mbps (I am connected at 54mbps most of the time) the wireless card is built into the laptop, and the laptop is quite new. This means that assuming it is on a usb bus, its a 2.0 or 3.0 bus, but would assume its most likely on a pci bus. Either way, that's not the issue, and would also not account for why, immediately upon reboot, I get 12mbps. If the max speed was 12mbps, I would be able to get perhaps 10. Assuming I was able to do the impossible and squeeze every bit of throughput from a 1.1 connection, it would not account for the times I am lucky enough to get 13meg or even 14 from the speedtest.

Anyways though I think I understand how you where confused now as I listed above. Because I noticed your saying Mbps and comparing it megabits- MB's ... And as I mentioned above and provided the link above, Mbps and MB's arent the same thing at all. So basically the point is that MB's is what Speedtest is using as their type of measurement that speedtest scores you with.
February 6, 2010 3:15:34 PM

Discussing the difference between the terms, and what speed I am capable of getting does not solve the issue. My net connection is 15Mbps if you want to get technical about the exact terms, or "1.5 megs" The wireless card is capable of (At its connect connection speed) 54Mbps, or "About 5 1/2 megs"

I am receiving at around 2Mbps, or "About one fifth of a meg"

There is the rest of my speed..
Discussing terms and details isn't going to fix the issue. The card is capable, I am not getting it.. why?
Anonymous
February 6, 2010 5:36:12 PM

Yes, it does. 15 Mbps = 15 Megs not 1.5. Also, the throughput of 54 Mbps wireless card is about 22.5 Mbps max. Have you tried checking your speed at www.speedtest.net using a wired connection?
February 6, 2010 6:00:14 PM

Yes, wired I get what I should. Wireless I get 2 megs...
Ok, we shall simple this up. To attempt to avoid this pointless discussion. I was getting the proper speed a week ago, and I was getting the proper speed under Vista.
Again, the card is capable, why am I not getting the speed?
Anonymous
February 27, 2010 4:41:45 AM

Shadow

I had a similar issue pre-windows 7...so not sure this will be worth looking into. But when I had the windows version of the Atheros driver installed, I would cap out well underneath my available bandwidth. I ended up going to the hardware mfg's website and downloaded the latest and greatest. Rebooted, and all was well again.

http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR5005G&syst...

February 27, 2010 5:51:24 PM

google this

disable windows autotuning

see if this works for you
!