Sign in with
Your question

Is this PSU compatible with...

Last response: in Components
March 5, 2009 2:46:47 PM

Hi guys! I'm going to be upgrading my computer soon and buying a new case, MB, and PSU. I am on a really limited budget, and would like some help. I can only spend around $140 TOTAL. I want the PSU to be able to handle an ATI 4870, in case I updgrade the graphics card in the future. Here's what I had in mind:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here are my worries: Will that PSU power an ATI 4870, will that 20+4 pin PSU work with the 24 pin MB, and will an ATI 4870 fit in that case. In the future, I'd also like to upgrade from an AMD Athlon X2 4000+ 2.1 GHZ to a Phenom II 920. Will that motherboard support it? Keep in mind that I only have money for the MB, PSU, and case right now.

More about : psu compatible

a c 243 ) Power supply
March 5, 2009 3:10:37 PM

That power supply ranks among the worst ever.
March 5, 2009 3:27:54 PM

You do know that a good psu will cost at least $100, well at least from what I've seen.
Related resources
March 5, 2009 3:39:22 PM

delluser1 said:
That power supply ranks among the worst ever.

Glad to hear it :) . lol. Could you please give me a link to a decent PSU that will power the 4870 and work with the MB I listed? I'd really appreciate it. I've never built a computer before, and I want to make sure I get this upgrade right.
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 5, 2009 4:33:31 PM

Learn to read the newegg reviews. 20% 1 and 2 star reviews does qualify as "among the worst ever".

You don't need to worry about power supply compatibility. You only have three things to worry about:
1. Good brand. With PSU's, brand matters.
2. Enough power. Here, what matters is the 12 volt rating. The 12 volt output does all the heavy lifting nowadays.
3. Enough cables to power everything you want, hopefully without resorting to adapters.

The "20+4" pin main power connector is a standard feature, primarily because PSU's are still being bought for replacements for older computers.

The Logicsys, even if it were a "good" brand, is based on an obsolete design that has been dressed up with a "modern" amount of connectors. You can tell that from the heavy 5 volt and 3.3 volt rails (a modern motherboard with 4 GB of RAM won't need more than about 6 amps at 3.3 volts - the rest is wasted capacity) and the light 12 volt rail with only 25 amps.

One of my computers is powered by a 550 watt Antec - a pretty good, but not great brand (hey, I bought it on sale, $90 marked down to $50). Maximum 12 volt output is 42 amps.

I do not know how much power an AMD PII needs, but I know an OC'd Q6600 needs about 10 amps and a 4870 needs about 11 amps. Figure 1 to 2 amps for case fans and you are near max capacity for a 25 amp 12 volt rail and you haven't added any other components - like drives.

Shop the sales and specials.
a c 243 ) Power supply
March 5, 2009 5:57:16 PM

thecomputergeek said:
Glad to hear it :) . lol. Could you please give me a link to a decent PSU that will power the 4870 and work with the MB I listed? I'd really appreciate it. I've never built a computer before, and I want to make sure I get this upgrade right.

Not for that low a price
You can get a good quality 500 watt 34 amp ( actual 500 watt, not 375 watt claiming to be 500 watt like the Logysis with it's 450w max output claiming to be a 575w psu ) Antec for as low as $40 here

Do as drippy reccomends and look at the tier list, I put almost as much faith in it as I do Newegg reviews, but you will see that Logysis makes the " Not Reccomended" section ( as it does in most forums )
March 5, 2009 9:46:16 PM

Thanks guys! I really like the look of the OCZ SteathStream 600 watts. It should have plenty of power (free shipping and a $20 rebate too :)  ) Just a couple more questions. Any MB suggestions in the $50 price range that would support a Phenom II? I was thinking AM2/AM2+. Did the one I linked look OK, or is it just junk like the PSU i linked? And lastly, the case. I linked one, but I don't know if it would be a good case or not. Does it look OK to you guys, and would it be large enough to fit an ATI 4870?

EDIT: the MB I linked is no longer available on Newegg. Any other suggestions for a Phenom II compatible MB in the $50 price range?
March 5, 2009 10:23:13 PM

People around here don't usually recommend getting open box MB. You just don't know why they were sent back and plus they might not come with everything you need. I'm not sure if cheaper MB will work out of the box with PII. Is your old cpu am2 by chance? If it is then you can flash the bios if the MB manufacture has a bios update for the PII. You would just have to check out your MB manuf. website.
March 5, 2009 10:29:42 PM

drippyfausett said:
People around here don't usually recommend getting open box MB. You just don't know why they were sent back and plus they might not come with everything you need. I'm not sure if cheaper MB will work out of the box with PII. Is your old cpu am2 by chance? If it is then you can flash the bios if the MB manufacture has a bios update for the PII. You would just have to check out your MB manuf. website.

Yeah, it is. It's an AMD X2 4000+ AM2, which is one reason I decided to go AMD again instead of buying Intel. I was thinking about going with an E8400 and overclocking it, but I don't have the money to purchase a new CPU right now, so I figured I'd get a compatible AMD MB and upgrade to a Phenom II when I had the money. Anyway, any suggestions on good MB's in the $50 price range compatible with the Phenom II? I need an ATX MB, not Micro ATX.
March 5, 2009 10:34:48 PM

Is there a reason you need ATX and not MATX. Most of the MB i see around $50 are MATX.
March 5, 2009 10:38:36 PM

drippyfausett said:
Is there a reason you need ATX and not MATX. Most of the MB i see around $50 are MATX.

Well, I thought MATX was smaller, and I wanted to have enough space to upgrade my GPU to an ATI 4870 later. Also, most of the MATX compatible cases are smaller, and I thought I'd probably need all the space I can get with the ATI 4870. Am I wrong about size issues? Are MATX MB's not really "micro"?
March 5, 2009 10:45:41 PM

They are smaller 9.6 x 9.6 in compared to 12 x 9.6 in. The case you picked supports both. I was just saying because I wasn't able to find a MB in that price range that was ATX. Maybe you can though.
March 5, 2009 10:50:31 PM

I don't have a 4870 so I don't know what size you will need. Also does your budget include shipping because shipping a case is quite expensive.
March 5, 2009 10:53:59 PM

drippyfausett said:
They are smaller 9.6 x 9.6 in compared to 12 x 9.6 in. The case you picked supports both. I was just saying because I wasn't able to find a MB in that price range that was ATX. Maybe you can though.

So if I got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... motherboard, would an ATI 4870 physically fit on it?
March 5, 2009 10:57:43 PM

i'm sorry I don't know.
March 5, 2009 11:06:54 PM

drippyfausett said:
i'm sorry I don't know.

Thanks for your help. I've looked around a bit, and it seems that it will fit, but it'll be a tight squeeze. Thanks again for your help.
March 5, 2009 11:13:24 PM

No problem, I'm glad to help the little I did. Just make sure you don't rush things. I have in the past and was disappointed at times. I've got a cheap MB once and had to replace it in 9 months. I got my hd 3870 and in like 2 months I wished that I would have waited for the new tech.
!