Sign in with
Your question

Sluggish/Unsmooth performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2009 6:16:36 AM

I dont know if this a video card problem but it seems like it. Im into older and heavyly competitive games like CS, q3, qlive, q4 where performance is everything. I've been having this problem for a while. Basically, i get solid 100 fps no matter what... but it doesnt feel like it. I get no fps drops at all but it feels very unsmooth. The gameplay itself is very lagged. Recoil is really crappy, bullets fire slow, it just feels like im playing with 30fps (these symptoms happens in all my fps games). Anyone that has played cs and tried 30fps and 100fps would know what im talking about, this is what it feels like for me... 30fps gameplay... when in actuality im steady at 100. Everything just looks very unsmoth. It's not an connection issue, it happens on lan games. Apart from the unsmooth gameplay, in quake 3 i get many heavy graphical tearings once in a while. This type of tearing also looks like when you play a game on 20 fps.. where everything seems to be really fuzzy and laggy.

It happens on ALL three of my nvidia cards i tried. 7600gs PNY, 7600gs EVGA, geforce 4 mx420. I've tried clean reformats, defrags, many drivers. Im starting to think it could be a cpu problem, but i doubt it... I've done memtest, came out ok. Temps are fine as well, 30-40c. No background apps, etc.

Update: I just got 2x1gb sticks making it a total of 3gb. Results? It feels worse than before. Im actually getting fps drops now, rather than 100fps locked, **** looks real choppy. It's not the ram, it's not the psu... then it's either the CPU/GPU/HD/MOBO. For some reason my bios keeps on indicating my 3.3v FAIL, dont know if its a bogus read or what, and i dont have a multimeter to check. What next piece of hardware should i try out now? Im thinking about trying out an ATI card...

Win xp pro sp2
Gigabyte GA-945P-S3
e6300 @ 2.4
7600gs
3gb 667 corsair
450w fortron PSU
January 4, 2009 7:10:36 AM

what is your internet connection speed up and down ? Plus learning how to configure graphics settings such as vsync helps alot, what are you using in your settings for AA AF and the lot...?
What are you specs also, CPU, OS, Ram Specs....
January 4, 2009 7:28:11 AM

i'd have a look into that 3.3v rail. try a software monitor or test with a different psu.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2009 8:31:58 AM

it could just be your ping... i know that sounds stupid

but i can tell i'm lagging when i have a ping over 100

once I hit the 130 ping range i'm outta the server

I was playing tf2 a couple minutes ago... had a ping of 114 but you know how many times i died because of lag? A lot... maybe like 5 times

Maybe i'm just sensitive to it, you might be to but I'd imagine it has something to do w/ your internet

I doubt its the psu cause the psu would make it perform poorly if it wasn't getting enough power... but he says his gpus are doing fine so...
January 4, 2009 8:35:01 AM

If you have more then 2 sticks of ram in that could be it, try with the 2 new sticks you bought.

The PSU sounds like it could be failing from age but you will need to show us all your specs before we tell you what it could be.
January 4, 2009 8:36:38 AM

sharken said:
what is your internet connection speed up and down ? Plus learning how to configure graphics settings such as vsync helps alot, what are you using in your settings for AA AF and the lot...?
What are you specs also, CPU, OS, Ram Specs....

Internet connection has nothing to do with it. Vsync masks the problem partially, but it's still choppy. I've already played with graphic settings, that should be a newbies first resort, im way past that.
January 4, 2009 8:36:40 AM

i was going to suggest ping too, but thogrom beat me to it. your system could be fine, but if there is some ping issue, you will see "lag" as in graphics lagging which makes people think it is a FPS prob (frames per second, not first person shooter). i was on runes of magic, the international server and my frames ps was 100+ but it felt as tho it was 15. my ping was 700-800 cuz of international server. i switched over to N.Amercan server and ping was 60-70, and its what i expected from 60-100 frames.
January 4, 2009 8:38:59 AM

@thogrom and others
Like i said on my post, it's NOT a connection or ping issue. It happens at LAN games. My problem isnt CHOPPY models, where having high ping would have the enemies warping everywhere. I have GRAPHICAL lag, as in UNSMOOTH.

Sorry about the specs, forgot them.
January 4, 2009 8:41:00 AM

Have you checked temps on your Graphics card because my old one got hot and started to make image tearing in some games because the fan on it failed.
January 4, 2009 8:41:08 AM

blackwidow_rsa said:
i'd have a look into that 3.3v rail. try a software monitor or test with a different psu.

I've tried speedfan, it shows my 12v at 0.0 and 3.3 at 0.0
Bios shows 12v "OK" and 3.3 "FAIL"
Gigabyte software shows 12.v at 0.0 and 3.3 at 0.0

January 4, 2009 8:43:56 AM

Looks like you should try a new PSU
January 4, 2009 8:44:08 AM

mehcrim said:
Have you checked temps on your Graphics card because my old one got hot and started to make image tearing in some games because the fan on it failed.

Im on a old geforce 4 mx420, no software will let me check temps. It's an old vid card, so i doubt it's hot. As a matter of fact, my PNY 7600gs fried cause one of my fans was broken... it ran at 60-100. I bought an aftermarked cooler and it idled at 55c. Fried a while later. However, i have another 7600gs EVGA, it idles around 50c as well.
January 4, 2009 8:46:55 AM

mehcrim said:
Looks like you should try a new PSU

I actually bought a PSU two days ago, a 500w with 35a on the 12v. Wasnt that known brand. Plugged it in, it still showed fail and the choppyness has not improved. By the way, if i recall correctly, i believe it started showing fail after a bios flash... so it could be just the mobo giving false notice
January 4, 2009 8:51:33 AM

Try getting a spare ( working ) mobo from someone and give it a go if it works youve found your culprit if not im out of ideas, did you try using 2 ram sticks?
January 4, 2009 9:20:49 AM

mehcrim said:
Try getting a spare ( working ) mobo from someone and give it a go if it works youve found your culprit if not im out of ideas, did you try using 2 ram sticks?

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks for the help.

I think it just boils down to MOBO/GPU. I've tried these same cards on my brothers PC (amd x2), same thing. Unless his mobo/psu/cpu is also bad, then it has to be the GPU. What bothers me is that ALL THREE GPU's run like this? Im gonna try an ati from a local store when i get a chance
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2009 12:15:11 AM

whats your harddrive?

I have an SSD BUT it sucks so I experience major choppiness from time to time due to page filing... I can barely play half life 2... i can't stand the freezing every couple of seconds so it MIGHT have something to do with your hard drive
January 5, 2009 1:38:28 AM

Quote:
whats your harddrive?

I have an SSD BUT it sucks so I experience major choppiness from time to time due to page filing... I can barely play half life 2... i can't stand the freezing every couple of seconds so it MIGHT have something to do with your hard drive

It's a 400gb sata, dont know about the RPM
January 6, 2009 5:39:23 AM

Update 1/5/09. I just got a radeon 4350 to test it out and it seems that no matter what i force my refresh rate to, it's extremely flickery and is compareable with a 60HZ CRT (which is horrid for crts, extreme flickers). Im starting to wonder if it could be my monitor causing this? After all, it is kinda broken. The screen will turn red/blue/green/white depending on what angle the cable is twisted. Could also explain why my graphics look sluggish and choppy BUT no fps drops evident.

What do you think? Could it be my monitor?!
January 6, 2009 11:21:31 AM

Found the culprit: It was my monitor!

I wondered about this, but i didnt think so. I believed monitors and cpu's worked apart on their own... meaning if i were to play a game without a monitor, the game is still running and playing, regardless of the monitors status. I guess i was wrong... the monitor affects the outcome of whatever the cpu is trying to display eh. Im surprised nobody else mentioned it. lol
!