Poweful Motherboard

chiller12345

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Hi,
I'm getting a new graphic card and so i decided to get a new motherboard. Now that i've looked at motherboard im confused as to what i need. There are mobo for $300+ and also less den $100. Do i really need a powerful motherboard? I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L or Asus P5KPL-AM/PS. They are both under $100AUD. And that is my price range. So do i really need a powerful mobo or a cheap one like this will suffice.

I got the Palit 4870 512mb Sonic Edition, and Pentium 4 (gonna buy Quad core soon). So im gonna run the new mobo on my pentium 4.

So if you guys could tell me if really need a expensive mobo?

Thank you

I would put more money in a good power supply for the 4870. It should have about 24 amps or more for the 12v rail. Seasonic, pc power and cooling, and corsair are excellent, but I don't know what brands they're sold under in your area. The less expensive boards usually work fine unless you're overclocking.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I would save the video card and mobo upgrade for when you get your quad core. The 4870 will be bottlenecked by your P4, and prices should come down by the time you're ready to buy.

The price difference in the boards is mainly because of the features they support.
You need to figure out what you features you need, and buy the board that fits your needs.
Narrow your selection down to a few boards that have the features you want, and post them here.
And yes, wait until you can budget for a board/processor/memory all at once.
You will then be able to make a selection that balances features, performance, and price to suit your needs much better.