Was this a bad decision

Jerry_23

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
After saving up a long time I got an Acer Aspire 5535. Right out of the box I am having an issue with the optical drive & Acer is currently working to resolve the issue. I also have posted the issue here under CPU & Components forum. But now I am wondering if ny selection of this brand & model is a mistake or do I have a simple fix issue. Im on a very fixed budget & selected the model based on ease of use & features. Im not a heavy user. Just some net surfing, email & family photos. No heavy duty computer use. :hello:

Solution
Personally, I very much dislike Acer. I got one of their monitors on my last PC because of budget constraints, and it came with a very small dead pixel and the place I bought it from were also jerks who wouldn't exchange it, and it was too small for an Acer RMA. So I had to live with it for almost 3 years until I just got my new PC and a monitor. So... good luck with that drive. I mean if they RMA it and you get a good new one then great! But yea, in the future have some reservations about Acer products.
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

That doesn't mean that your election was a bad election, just mean that the components sometimes fail like your optical drive.

Don't worry about that, since your laptop still have warranty, the manufacturer would repair or give to u another rig.

Personally, I very much dislike Acer. I got one of their monitors on my last PC because of budget constraints, and it came with a very small dead pixel and the place I bought it from were also jerks who wouldn't exchange it, and it was too small for an Acer RMA. So I had to live with it for almost 3 years until I just got my new PC and a monitor. So... good luck with that drive. I mean if they RMA it and you get a good new one then great! But yea, in the future have some reservations about Acer products.

Solution

Jerry_23

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

The problem is that the drive will not stay closed. I put a CD into the drive
(Memorex DVD+R) . Then after two or three seconds the drive tray opens & I get a message to insert a CD and click NEXT to continue. So I re close the drive, click next & the whole process of it popping open starts. My son in law woks the computer help desk at the cable company & he can't figure it out. Im waiting on help from Acer as this computer is brand new.
Jerry_23 :sleep:

Jerry_23

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

Believe it or not. I started out with a Compaq cq60-615 . I got it home & it would not even allow me to click the accept box on the license agreements.
Then I got past that & it would not split the system to allow me to make the system reovery discs. I took it back to the store & they could not figure it out so they gave me a new one in a sealed box.

Got the second compaq cq 60 home. This time I got to the point of making the system recovery cd's, but the optical drive would not start up. Was up all night with Compaq Help & they could not fix it. Brought it back to the store & they could not fix it.

This time I got the Acer & it's busted too. At least the store has been exchangeing them every time. The store is Best Buys. The sales guy told me that on average with notebooks & lap tops they get around 10% defective stock. So far I got 20% of the Compaq rejects & 10% of the Acer.
If everyone just did not buy a single thing from any of these companies it would get their attention instead of just using their customers as the testing dept. If Acer need to take back the computer I just might opt out to get a full refund & maybe take my next chance on a Dell ?

randomkid

Distinguished
The sad thing about these kind of things is the lost time, wasted effort and frustrations that go with it.

I myself had a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop with the screen hinge that broke after 2 years. But it did run very well inspite of th physical damage until I got it replaced with an HP 6530b which I would say is really bad. The wifi hangs a lot and I have to reboot.

I also got 2 ASUS for my kids with one's RAM fail while both had the same problem with LCD hinges after about 2 years of use.

I wonder what brand will get us through at least 3 years without problems.

Jerry_23

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, Stupid Acer tech help gives me a fix for the optical drive but then tells me the fix will screw up program funcionality & I will have to request help from the program vendor. What a set of stones thes companies have.
Im going to retun this computer to the Best buys store. Maybe I will try Dell next.

I have a cheap Dell desktop. About seven months after I got it the mother board fried, but they came in and pulled the board & its been good ever since.