Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Was this a bad decision

Last response: in Overclocking
April 29, 2010 12:05:10 PM

After saving up a long time I got an Acer Aspire 5535. Right out of the box I am having an issue with the optical drive & Acer is currently working to resolve the issue. I also have posted the issue here under CPU & Components forum. But now I am wondering if ny selection of this brand & model is a mistake or do I have a simple fix issue. Im on a very fixed budget & selected the model based on ease of use & features. Im not a heavy user. Just some net surfing, email & family photos. No heavy duty computer use. :hello: 

More about : bad decision

a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2010 1:09:30 PM

What exactly is the issue with the Optical Drive?
m
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
April 29, 2010 2:25:58 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

That doesn't mean that your election was a bad election, just mean that the components sometimes fail like your optical drive.

Don't worry about that, since your laptop still have warranty, the manufacturer would repair or give to u another rig.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 100 K Overclocking
April 29, 2010 2:33:03 PM

Personally, I very much dislike Acer. I got one of their monitors on my last PC because of budget constraints, and it came with a very small dead pixel and the place I bought it from were also jerks who wouldn't exchange it, and it was too small for an Acer RMA. So I had to live with it for almost 3 years until I just got my new PC and a monitor. So... good luck with that drive. I mean if they RMA it and you get a good new one then great! But yea, in the future have some reservations about Acer products.
April 29, 2010 6:00:21 PM

randomkid said:
What exactly is the issue with the Optical Drive?

The problem is that the drive will not stay closed. I put a CD into the drive
(Memorex DVD+R) . Then after two or three seconds the drive tray opens & I get a message to insert a CD and click NEXT to continue. So I re close the drive, click next & the whole process of it popping open starts. My son in law woks the computer help desk at the cable company & he can't figure it out. Im waiting on help from Acer as this computer is brand new.
Jerry_23 :sleep: 
m
l
April 29, 2010 6:11:21 PM

wolfram23 said:
Personally, I very much dislike Acer. I got one of their monitors on my last PC because of budget constraints, and it came with a very small dead pixel and the place I bought it from were also jerks who wouldn't exchange it, and it was too small for an Acer RMA. So I had to live with it for almost 3 years until I just got my new PC and a monitor. So... good luck with that drive. I mean if they RMA it and you get a good new one then great! But yea, in the future have some reservations about Acer products.

Believe it or not. I started out with a Compaq cq60-615 . I got it home & it would not even allow me to click the accept box on the license agreements.
Then I got past that & it would not split the system to allow me to make the system reovery discs. I took it back to the store & they could not figure it out so they gave me a new one in a sealed box.

Got the second compaq cq 60 home. This time I got to the point of making the system recovery cd's, but the optical drive would not start up. Was up all night with Compaq Help & they could not fix it. Brought it back to the store & they could not fix it.

This time I got the Acer & it's busted too. At least the store has been exchangeing them every time. The store is Best Buys. The sales guy told me that on average with notebooks & lap tops they get around 10% defective stock. So far I got 20% of the Compaq rejects & 10% of the Acer.
If everyone just did not buy a single thing from any of these companies it would get their attention instead of just using their customers as the testing dept. If Acer need to take back the computer I just might opt out to get a full refund & maybe take my next chance on a Dell ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2010 12:26:04 AM

The sad thing about these kind of things is the lost time, wasted effort and frustrations that go with it.

I myself had a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop with the screen hinge that broke after 2 years. But it did run very well inspite of th physical damage until I got it replaced with an HP 6530b which I would say is really bad. The wifi hangs a lot and I have to reboot.

I also got 2 ASUS for my kids with one's RAM fail while both had the same problem with LCD hinges after about 2 years of use.

I wonder what brand will get us through at least 3 years without problems.
m
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
April 30, 2010 12:30:56 AM

^MAC, Sager, Falcon Norhtwest, the problem, very expensive.
m
l
April 30, 2010 12:51:21 AM

randomkid said:
The sad thing about these kind of things is the lost time, wasted effort and frustrations that go with it.

I myself had a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop with the screen hinge that broke after 2 years. But it did run very well inspite of th physical damage until I got it replaced with an HP 6530b which I would say is really bad. The wifi hangs a lot and I have to reboot.

I also got 2 ASUS for my kids with one's RAM fail while both had the same problem with LCD hinges after about 2 years of use.

I wonder what brand will get us through at least 3 years without problems.

Yeah, Stupid Acer tech help gives me a fix for the optical drive but then tells me the fix will screw up program funcionality & I will have to request help from the program vendor. What a set of stones thes companies have.
Im going to retun this computer to the Best buys store. Maybe I will try Dell next.

I have a cheap Dell desktop. About seven months after I got it the mother board fried, but they came in and pulled the board & its been good ever since.
m
l
May 10, 2010 10:54:52 PM

Best answer selected by Jerry_23.
m
l
!