Transponder numbers?

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 20, 2004 11:23:55 PM

What are transponder numbers? When I change mine on my DirecTV setup, the
signal strength changes. Some are zero. Only one of them is 100, so I
leave it there. That was not the number the install person left. Will my
changing it cause me grief? Should I put the original number back? All my
channels are present and clear. TIA, Paul

More about : transponder numbers

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 11:23:56 PM

"Paul H" <NospaMphobergNospaM@att.net> wrote in message
> What are transponder numbers? When I change mine on my DirecTV setup, the
> signal strength changes. Some are zero. Only one of them is 100, so I
> leave it there. That was not the number the install person left. Will my
> changing it cause me grief? Should I put the original number back? All
my
> channels are present and clear. TIA, Paul

No problem. As you change channels you automatically change transponders.
Each transponder carries the signal for a station or group of stations. A
signal strength of zero means you don't receive the signals from that
transponder either due to your programming package and the type of system
you have installed.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:34:44 AM

Do you mean that if I looked again, with the receiver set to a different
channel, I would see a different transponder number? Maybe with a different
signal strength? I guess I don't care, but I am probably not the only
curious person. If I tried to get more numbers to have higher strength by
slightly re-aiming the dish, would my receiver be less prone to loss of
satellite signal during a thunder storm?

!