Sign in with
Your question

What Case Should I Get? New Build

Last response: in Components
March 5, 2009 10:58:02 PM

Hello, I have a question for the community here. Which case should I get for my new build.

Basically its an i7 build with the following components:

*i7 920 - Plan to overclock

*GTX260 Core 216 - plan to overclock

*Corsair 750 Watt PSU

*6GB Ram

*Asus p6t deluxe V2 (not completely sure yet)

So anyway, my problem is the case. Im looking for a case that has a side window, good airflow, looks good/cool, can fit large vid cards and processor coolers (TRUE...) and is around $100-150 (flexible).

So far I have been presented with a few cases I like:

1. NZXT Tempest - Looks cool, has 6 fans, pretty big mid.

2. Antec 900 - Similar to Tempest, has 4 fans (I think), looks good

3. Cooler Master 690 (with the side window plate) - Looks good, reported good airflow

Now for the possibles:

4. Coolermaster HAF 932 - Huge, amazing airflow, not very good window, mabey too big, looks cool

5. Antec 1200 - Has been suggested to me, not so sure.

So those are the ones I have narrowed it down to but Im still opened to new suggestions. So if you guys could help me decide on one, that would be great. Feel free to ask me questions about my preferences and other things.

Thanks!

More about : case build

March 5, 2009 11:06:04 PM

My personal choice? Easily the CM 690 is the best looking case and it can house 7 120mm fans or 4 120mm and 3 140mm fans, both including an 80mm fan under the motherboard which has differing effects apparently. Anyway the CM 690 likely has the best cooling out of all of them if you replace the fans with some good ones (needed for all of them really), looks very classy and yet not at all boring, and is pretty cheap. This comes from someone who has used all of those cases (they are pretty much the most popular cases).
Related resources
March 5, 2009 11:19:04 PM

I like the "900" my last two builds have been in them. Plenty of air flow for OC'ing, and lots of room.
March 5, 2009 11:25:24 PM

I absolutely hate the Antec 1200, it looks ugly thanks to the taller yet not longer case design and all the extra fans do is bring in more dust.

The Antec 900 is a decent case, but is far too hyped up and really isn't the best looking or the best performing.
March 5, 2009 11:35:22 PM

My advice is to buy what youll be happy with so you wont have to buy another one anytime soon . I have a coolermaster tj09 and love it . Its big but has great airflow . Check it out .
March 5, 2009 11:39:46 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
My personal choice? Easily the CM 690 is the best looking case and it can house 7 120mm fans or 4 120mm and 3 140mm fans, both including an 80mm fan under the motherboard which has differing effects apparently. Anyway the CM 690 likely has the best cooling out of all of them if you replace the fans with some good ones (needed for all of them really), looks very classy and yet not at all boring, and is pretty cheap. This comes from someone who has used all of those cases (they are pretty much the most popular cases).

How many fans does it come with? all 7? What fans would you suggest replacing them with?

Does that window add on look good to you? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) any mods for this case to make a bigger window?

Looks like a good case, Ill definitely keep it in mind.
March 6, 2009 12:00:04 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
I like that windows, it only shows the pretty parts of the PC. The case comes with 4-5 fans that are not all that great.

If you want some great fans for cheap then get these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That will produce some killer cooling!

Ok thanks for the info.

I have heard good things about the Scythe fans, but also that they are loud. I would like fand that push air but are very quiet. I have heard the new Noctua fans do this but not sure. By any chance can you help me find fans that are very good coolers but quiet? I mean 33dbls is pretty quiet, but I would prefer a little quieter.
March 6, 2009 1:18:58 AM

+1 for the scythe fans. i have 4 in my mid ATX, 1 in, 1 out, 1 on the CPU heatsink, 1 on the GPU heatsink. Not really loud, but can be heard. Beyond 5ft, very minimal noise. The loudest one by far is the one on the CPU, since it has the heatsink under it. It makes this weird whistle noise on full speed, so i keep that one around 50%. Overall, quiet, and move tons of air.

There is a ribbon on my wall 5 ft behind my case, and moves in the air coming out the back of the computer.
March 6, 2009 9:47:22 AM

Well I have 8 of the 88CFM fans in my case (watercooled), they can be heard...
March 6, 2009 10:27:44 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:

So your saying the Antec 1200 brings in dust? While the CM 690 Has around 8 or 7 fans? I hope you know the antec 1200 comes with air filters.

Antec 1200 all the way.
March 6, 2009 11:49:53 AM

I say the NZXT Tempest all the way. Its affordable, sleek-looking and has great airflow. One can argue that it's just an Antec 900 knockoff as the 900 was first, but I think NZXT did a much better job with it than Antec. First of all, it comes with more fans, all equiped with dust filters. The Antec 900 is just a big dust collector. The Antec 1200 however, is a case Antec should be damned proud about. I have nothing to say about it except its 1)Pretty Awesome 2) Pretty ugly thou. If you prefer Antec, the Antec 900 two, 902 is a pretty decent case. Its pretty much the smaller version of the 1200 but uglier, imo.
It all comes down to:
NZXT Tempest or Antec 1200, 902. I strongly suggest the Tempest. The 900 is not worth it, although the 1200 and the 902 are good casses.
March 6, 2009 12:05:39 PM

Sorry for the double post, but stupid thing doesnt let me edit my post. The 900 does not come with dust filters and cable management. While the Tempest, 902 and the 1200 comes with all these features. As for the Coolermaster casses, I can barely comment as I have never personally worked on them before. From what I know, the HAF does not come with dust filters and it gets even dustier than the Antec 900. And I generally don't like the looks of the Coolermaster casses. Lian-Li also make pretty good casses if you are curious about other cases.
March 6, 2009 6:23:10 PM

RiotSniperX said:
So your saying the Antec 1200 brings in dust? While the CM 690 Has around 8 or 7 fans? I hope you know the antec 1200 comes with air filters.

Antec 1200 all the way.

All I said was that the extra 2 120mm fans do not really help cooling, they just bring in more dust.
March 6, 2009 8:52:35 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
All I said was that the extra 2 120mm fans do not really help cooling, they just bring in more dust.

The more the better, and it has easibly washable filters.
March 7, 2009 3:37:14 AM

Ok well Im still not completely sure but I think its gonna be eaither the tempest (most likely), CM 690, or Antec 900. I dont really like the Antec 1200's looks and I dont really want a full tower.
March 7, 2009 2:27:51 PM

The Tempest is pretty much a full tower FYI, look at the dimensions.
March 7, 2009 11:49:10 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
The Tempest is pretty much a full tower FYI, look at the dimensions.

Yeah thats a good point. Still I think Ill go for the Tempest cause is a good size (big now that you mention it), I think it looks cool, it stays cool and has a huge window.
March 11, 2009 8:45:52 PM

Ok so heres an update: Im still heavily considering case options.

I am really torn between the CM 690 and the NXZT Tempest.

My dad said that we can cut and make a window in the 690, only problem is getting a fan in a home made side window. But I guess its possible.

Anyway, I like the looks of both and I really value performance and quietness. I really want a case the can take 2 large video cards and (very important) one that can hold a cpu cooler like the TRUE or noctua nh-u12p, this is important. I really like windowed cases (but as I said, modding). I would like it to be cold and pretty quiet. Whether I need a fan controller or not.

So guys I still need suggestions I guess.
March 12, 2009 12:37:53 AM

Both will do all you want to do. The CM 690 has better cooling potential, but the NZXT tempest cools better out of the box. That said, the Tempest costs a good bit more so I suppose the extra fans aren't that much more expensive, they might even be cheaper. Putting a fan in the side is easy, get some grill/netting and cut a hole the size of the fan frame and drill the holes, done.

Again both are great cases, let me see what deals I can find online to help you decide.
March 12, 2009 10:04:31 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
CM 690:
http://directron.com/rc690kkn1gp.html

NZXT Tempest:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

those are the best prices that I can find, a $35 difference. Plenty for extra fans for the 690 so I guess the price is about the same. With a few decent 70+ CFM fans in there I do believe that the 690 will cool better, but not by much. Hope this helps.

Well if you look at the newegg link you can see that its 90 after the mail in rebate, so thats good. Can you suggest any pretty quiet (around 20dbl) fans that are good?

What if I put the good replacement fans in the Tempest? I think that would be pretty good airflow. And if the cooling isnt gonna be better by very much Im not sure. As I have said I rather go with the Tempest and replace the fans to make the airflow amazing. BUt I do like the fan options on the 690. GRRR this is difficult.

BTW: I have a store near me where I can see all these cases in person.
March 12, 2009 11:39:35 AM

Here are some pictures of my Antec 900 to confuse you more.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261278-31-pics-antec-...

The NZXT Tempest looks good also. The CM 690 look boring........

I keep my PC on my desk and fans set to lowest power and have no problems with cooling or dust.

Good Luck
March 12, 2009 6:49:14 PM

There is no need to replace the fans in the NZXT Tempest, they are all rated at over 50 CFM.
March 13, 2009 7:05:07 PM

mark_k said:
Here are some pictures of my Antec 900 to confuse you more.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261278-31-pics-antec-...

The NZXT Tempest looks good also. The CM 690 look boring........

I keep my PC on my desk and fans set to lowest power and have no problems with cooling or dust.

Good Luck

That build is awesome! Thanks for that link!

And thanks for the fan info.
March 14, 2009 1:30:12 AM

Another case to consider if airflow is your thing is the Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package (terrible name....sack the marketing department!)

It isn't perfect by any means, but it has some nice features over the Antec and NZXT cases:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Category.aspx?S=1104

March 15, 2009 4:15:10 AM

Lozza81 said:
Another case to consider if airflow is your thing is the Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package (terrible name....sack the marketing department!)

It isn't perfect by any means, but it has some nice features over the Antec and NZXT cases:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Category.aspx?S=1104

great case but it is expensive compared to the 900 or CM 690. as if u need to know about another case i picked up a Thermaltake Element S the other day and it is fantastic. it honestly has all the air flow you will need. It has great CM too. if you really need more you could go the diy route and just buy a 4 1/2in hole saw and place fans wherever you want.
March 15, 2009 6:16:23 PM

What do you guys think about the HAF? I dont mind the looks and the size so much after measuring the actual space I have for it. I like the cable routing and the big quiet fans and all the expandability options. I also like that its 10" wide. What do you guys think about it?
March 15, 2009 6:54:57 PM

the HAF is a great case. holds my i7 build with tons of room
March 15, 2009 8:52:39 PM

jjbtexas said:
the HAF is a great case. holds my i7 build with tons of room

Ok cool. It seems like an amazing case from all the reviews about it. The only problems that people have mentioned were:

1. The looks - very military themed. I personally think it looks pretty cool, tough and hardcore!

2. Lack of dust filters - With all those fans at 110CFM and the vents, theres gonna be dust. I think that I can find a way to make a homemade filter from other filters. Is there already a guide to do this?

3. Not much of a window- The one window it has has the security glass style to it. I think this is the only thing that bugs me. I like case windows and seeing whats inside a pc, but I think that the window is ok and that its possible to see through the mesh below it (right?). Worse comes to worst I can probably mod and put a new window in.

I have also heard the power and HDD activity leds are blinding bright, is that true? I have seen the mod to change them from blue to red through.

Overall this case looks good and I like the room and the features a lot.
March 16, 2009 1:00:07 AM

I wouldn't worry about dust to much. unless you are puttng the case on the floor it's not going to be a problem at all and even if you do get dust in there just grab a can of compressed air and blow it all out once in a while. I tend to like the window the way it is but it's personal preference. as for the lights, if they really bother you just stick a peace of electrical tape over it.
March 16, 2009 2:53:38 AM

I have the Cooler Master 690 case without the window because I wanted the extra side fan. Mine is AMAZING!!!!!!! I have it loaded to the max with 120mm fans and all connected via Molex to get the max power out of them; and with the CPU fan cranked up to 100% my overclocked Q6600 to 3gHz idles at 68 Fahrenheit!!!!! The only thing I don't like is the front panel is hard to get off the first few times. You feel like your about to snap it off but I called Cooler Master and they said it's just new plastic and if it breaks they'll send me a new one without wanting the old one back. AMAZING customer service. If you want a lot of fans... hard drives... optical drives... room to work, and eye candy... get the CM690. Mine is loaded with all blue LED fans also so that baby glows even though there is no side window.
March 16, 2009 3:14:50 PM

jjbtexas said:
I wouldn't worry about dust to much. unless you are puttng the case on the floor it's not going to be a problem at all and even if you do get dust in there just grab a can of compressed air and blow it all out once in a while. I tend to like the window the way it is but it's personal preference. as for the lights, if they really bother you just stick a peace of electrical tape over it.

I don't want to be negative, but at least think about the dust!

I have a case under a desk, with intake (3 80mm) and output (2 80mm, 1 120mm) no filters, and it gets tons of dust. Really, just look at where you live too, some places have less dust then others, if dust settles on a surface in a visible coating after a week (like my place in So-Calif) then you might want to think a bit more about dust. It doesn't hurt much with monthly cleanings, but it sure looks ugly to me (and messes with my allergies if it gets kicked up).

Although Mr. jjbtexas is right; if it isn't going on the floor it's much less of a concern...but mine is on the floor.

Good luck finding that perfect case!
-Verdauga
March 17, 2009 9:16:55 PM

Verdauga said:
I don't want to be negative, but at least think about the dust!

I have a case under a desk, with intake (3 80mm) and output (2 80mm, 1 120mm) no filters, and it gets tons of dust. Really, just look at where you live too, some places have less dust then others, if dust settles on a surface in a visible coating after a week (like my place in So-Calif) then you might want to think a bit more about dust. It doesn't hurt much with monthly cleanings, but it sure looks ugly to me (and messes with my allergies if it gets kicked up).

Although Mr. jjbtexas is right; if it isn't going on the floor it's much less of a concern...but mine is on the floor.

Good luck finding that perfect case!
-Verdauga

Yeah well it will be on the floor with a rug. Even on the wood floor of my house there is very little dust and the whole house is cleaned pretty very well. I am thinking about making some dust filters out of dryer sheets or pantyhoes. I have heard this works pretty well. Also, I will use the wheels that come with the haf so it will be a little bit off the ground. I think with these combined methods, and some canned air, I think I can keep it dust free. What do you think?
March 18, 2009 11:24:40 AM

I keep mine on a desk.
When not in use I turn it off (becuse I OC'd it and sleep mode wont work) and but a plastic bag over the PC. The bag is the bag that come with the CASE.
March 30, 2009 1:06:04 AM

Ok so I think Im gonna get the HAF because I really think it will be good for all of my components. The only thing is the PSU, I have heard it has to point the fan downward because of no reversible PSU bracket. I think this is ok cause it will be on wheels and a little high off the ground. What do you guys think of the HAF?
!