What Case Should I Get? New Build

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Hello, I have a question for the community here. Which case should I get for my new build.

Basically its an i7 build with the following components:

*i7 920 - Plan to overclock

*GTX260 Core 216 - plan to overclock

*Corsair 750 Watt PSU

*6GB Ram

*Asus p6t deluxe V2 (not completely sure yet)

So anyway, my problem is the case. Im looking for a case that has a side window, good airflow, looks good/cool, can fit large vid cards and processor coolers (TRUE...) and is around $100-150 (flexible).

So far I have been presented with a few cases I like:

1. NZXT Tempest - Looks cool, has 6 fans, pretty big mid.

2. Antec 900 - Similar to Tempest, has 4 fans (I think), looks good

3. Cooler Master 690 (with the side window plate) - Looks good, reported good airflow

Now for the possibles:

4. Coolermaster HAF 932 - Huge, amazing airflow, not very good window, mabey too big, looks cool

5. Antec 1200 - Has been suggested to me, not so sure.

So those are the ones I have narrowed it down to but Im still opened to new suggestions. So if you guys could help me decide on one, that would be great. Feel free to ask me questions about my preferences and other things.

Thanks!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
My personal choice? Easily the CM 690 is the best looking case and it can house 7 120mm fans or 4 120mm and 3 140mm fans, both including an 80mm fan under the motherboard which has differing effects apparently. Anyway the CM 690 likely has the best cooling out of all of them if you replace the fans with some good ones (needed for all of them really), looks very classy and yet not at all boring, and is pretty cheap. This comes from someone who has used all of those cases (they are pretty much the most popular cases).

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I absolutely hate the Antec 1200, it looks ugly thanks to the taller yet not longer case design and all the extra fans do is bring in more dust.

The Antec 900 is a decent case, but is far too hyped up and really isn't the best looking or the best performing.

smotman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
My advice is to buy what youll be happy with so you wont have to buy another one anytime soon . I have a coolermaster tj09 and love it . Its big but has great airflow . Check it out .

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

How many fans does it come with? all 7? What fans would you suggest replacing them with?

Does that window add on look good to you? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999177) any mods for this case to make a bigger window?

Looks like a good case, Ill definitely keep it in mind.

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Ok thanks for the info.

I have heard good things about the Scythe fans, but also that they are loud. I would like fand that push air but are very quiet. I have heard the new Noctua fans do this but not sure. By any chance can you help me find fans that are very good coolers but quiet? I mean 33dbls is pretty quiet, but I would prefer a little quieter.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
+1 for the scythe fans. i have 4 in my mid ATX, 1 in, 1 out, 1 on the CPU heatsink, 1 on the GPU heatsink. Not really loud, but can be heard. Beyond 5ft, very minimal noise. The loudest one by far is the one on the CPU, since it has the heatsink under it. It makes this weird whistle noise on full speed, so i keep that one around 50%. Overall, quiet, and move tons of air.

There is a ribbon on my wall 5 ft behind my case, and moves in the air coming out the back of the computer.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

So your saying the Antec 1200 brings in dust? While the CM 690 Has around 8 or 7 fans? I hope you know the antec 1200 comes with air filters.

Antec 1200 all the way.

Cheese-kun

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I say the NZXT Tempest all the way. Its affordable, sleek-looking and has great airflow. One can argue that it's just an Antec 900 knockoff as the 900 was first, but I think NZXT did a much better job with it than Antec. First of all, it comes with more fans, all equiped with dust filters. The Antec 900 is just a big dust collector. The Antec 1200 however, is a case Antec should be damned proud about. I have nothing to say about it except its 1)Pretty Awesome 2) Pretty ugly thou. If you prefer Antec, the Antec 900 two, 902 is a pretty decent case. Its pretty much the smaller version of the 1200 but uglier, imo.
It all comes down to:
NZXT Tempest or Antec 1200, 902. I strongly suggest the Tempest. The 900 is not worth it, although the 1200 and the 902 are good casses.

Cheese-kun

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Sorry for the double post, but stupid thing doesnt let me edit my post. The 900 does not come with dust filters and cable management. While the Tempest, 902 and the 1200 comes with all these features. As for the Coolermaster casses, I can barely comment as I have never personally worked on them before. From what I know, the HAF does not come with dust filters and it gets even dustier than the Antec 900. And I generally don't like the looks of the Coolermaster casses. Lian-Li also make pretty good casses if you are curious about other cases.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

All I said was that the extra 2 120mm fans do not really help cooling, they just bring in more dust.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

The more the better, and it has easibly washable filters.

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Ok well Im still not completely sure but I think its gonna be eaither the tempest (most likely), CM 690, or Antec 900. I dont really like the Antec 1200's looks and I dont really want a full tower.

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah thats a good point. Still I think Ill go for the Tempest cause is a good size (big now that you mention it), I think it looks cool, it stays cool and has a huge window.

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Ok so heres an update: Im still heavily considering case options.

I am really torn between the CM 690 and the NXZT Tempest.

My dad said that we can cut and make a window in the 690, only problem is getting a fan in a home made side window. But I guess its possible.

Anyway, I like the looks of both and I really value performance and quietness. I really want a case the can take 2 large video cards and (very important) one that can hold a cpu cooler like the TRUE or noctua nh-u12p, this is important. I really like windowed cases (but as I said, modding). I would like it to be cold and pretty quiet. Whether I need a fan controller or not.

So guys I still need suggestions I guess.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Both will do all you want to do. The CM 690 has better cooling potential, but the NZXT tempest cools better out of the box. That said, the Tempest costs a good bit more so I suppose the extra fans aren't that much more expensive, they might even be cheaper. Putting a fan in the side is easy, get some grill/netting and cut a hole the size of the fan frame and drill the holes, done.

Again both are great cases, let me see what deals I can find online to help you decide.

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Well if you look at the newegg link you can see that its 90 after the mail in rebate, so thats good. Can you suggest any pretty quiet (around 20dbl) fans that are good?

What if I put the good replacement fans in the Tempest? I think that would be pretty good airflow. And if the cooling isnt gonna be better by very much Im not sure. As I have said I rather go with the Tempest and replace the fans to make the airflow amazing. BUt I do like the fan options on the 690. GRRR this is difficult.

BTW: I have a store near me where I can see all these cases in person.