Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Hard Disks Western Digital too hot, Acer wants them back

Last response: in Storage
May 26, 2010 4:58:10 PM

Hi there,

I hate it to send my pc back. Therefore my question to the forum.

A month ago I bought my Acer Aspire M7811, i7 860 processor/8GB/2TB/Win7 64bit

Also bought an extra HD, Samsung 1,5 TB, 5400rpm. All HD's are Serial ATA.

The Acer's default 2 HD's are: WDC WD10EADS 22M2B0
[Western Digital]

Everything works fine. But sometimes all of sudden the machine started to blow for a few seconds. I downloaded Speedfan to check the temperatures. The extra internal HD Samsung works on 33 degrees.

But the two default WD HD's are on a constant temperature of approx. 47 degrees. Even when the PC is almost in rest. I removed the side plate and they really feel quite warm. I reset my Window 7 to the situation right after unpacking the OS. No difference in temperature.

No big deal, I thought, but to be sure I called Acer Helpdesk. They told me it is not to be fixed by phone, but I have to let it fix as part of the guarantee. I wanted to speak a technician (helpdesk was only in messenger mode - asking, then walk back and answering the client - hate that), but they didn't let me. Rules....

I told them I wanted a few days time to think and research. I keep wondering that the problem might be in fact quite easy to resolve. I mean, everything is working fine! No error messages, etc. Fans are working. But I also know that this problem has to be fixed.

My question (I searched for it but failed to find answers): what can cause this strange behavior on my PC, that 2 HD's are heating up from an ideal temperature of approx. 30 degrees to 47, 48?

Thanks in advance!
Frank
May 26, 2010 5:56:44 PM

Little extra information after closing the body of the pc. Cooling down of the HD is somekind slow.

With the system in the most early state after installing the Windows/Acer software, with the body closed, the WD disk stays 44 degrees (without using the pc), the other WD Disk stays on 41 degrees. The extra Samsung HD now is stable on 31 degrees. All without tasking.

With the system in full operational state (without tasking) the WD's are 47 degrees both and the Samsung is on 33 degrees. For Acer reason to call the PC back. I prefer solutions from the forum, if possible...
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
May 26, 2010 6:00:54 PM

The high 40's is not all that unreasonable for a hard drive, but it is at the high end of the range where you'd like to be. And it's an unusually high temperature for a "green" drive.

I strongly doubt that Acer would replace the hard drives. I'm thinking that most they're likely to do is perhaps move the drives to different bays to give them more airflow or possibly install another fan to blow air directly over them. And I actually don't have a lot of faith that they'd even do that.

And I'm not familiar with your particular system, but it may just be a matter of adjusting some settings so that the fans come on at a lower temperature.

Those are all things you could do yourself just as easily, IMHO. It's really a question of how much hassle you want to go through in order to keep your system under warranty.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 26, 2010 7:08:35 PM

Don't forget about the ambient temperature of the room the PC is in. The warmer the ambient temp, the harder it is to cool.
m
l
May 26, 2010 11:12:03 PM

@Sminlal

Thanks! I even doubt if just replacing the hard drives would make any difference. Can't imagine that two HD's both are bad. Other point is, like you said, I don't want all that hassle and I don't have any idea about how serious those guys are looking at the problem.

Does it matter, with Serial Ata, what bay each drive is located? There's one bay left. It's a kind of drive in bay, designed to install the harddrive from the frontside. Those two default HD's are put together quite compact in a tight bay. The 'drive in bay' has more space around. Also the location where the WD-drives are situated, is not close to one of the fans.

Do you think it will help a lot to place one extra fan near the HD's? I want to prevent the desktop to be very noisy. Will relatively silent fans in general downgrade the state of being noiseless a lot?

I also will adjust some settings for the fans, but I'll have to study this a little bit more. This part is just new for me.

@jaguarskx
The ambient temp is approx. 21 degrees in the room, as long as the spring keeps it's distance ;-)
m
l

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
May 27, 2010 6:40:05 AM

I'm having a hard time visualizing the drive layout within your case.

Basically, you want to make sure there is a decent volume air flowing past the drives on both sides. If the drives are too close together or too close to the edge of the case to allow air to flow, it's a problem. If there's too MUCH space it can be a problem too, since the air right next to the drive might not be forced to flow. Something like half an inch to a couple of inches of space is probably pretty good.

So you need to make sure that there's a route for fresh air to get into the drives and that whatever fan(s) you have in your system are pulling air past them. If the fan might be drawing air through some other opening instead, then you need to do something - perhaps add a fan near the drives, perhaps restrict the other opening so as to force more air through the opening near the drives (being mindful of what effect that might have on the components near the other opening), or perhaps using cardboard or duct tape to direct the flow of air inside the case so it flows past the drives.

I use an Antec p182 case which has an isolated compartment for the drives. I don't even have a fan for my drives, the fan in the power supply (which normally runs quite slowly) is enough to draw air through the compartment to keep the drives at less than 40C.
a b G Storage
May 27, 2010 6:47:05 AM

47-48C is perfectly fine. That's well within the rated operating spec, and it shouldn't cause any problems at all. I wouldn't worry about it.
m
l
May 27, 2010 12:43:45 PM

cjl said:
47-48C is perfectly fine. That's well within the rated operating spec, and it shouldn't cause any problems at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tnx. But, like Sminlal said, those drives are 'green' drives, known for their energy saving and relatively cool working. And Acer is also advising to send the PC back for a repair. Something I want to prevent [not the repair but sending it back].

Indeed there is no emergency, but the stuff is quite new with HD's already against there max. heating range. I'll try to fix using the advises here. I see I can't use attachments for a picture of the inside, but the HD compartment is also quite isolated and tight and it seems it can use some fresh air.
m
l
May 27, 2010 4:49:31 PM

sminlal said:
I'm having a hard time visualizing the drive layout within your case.

Basically, you want to make sure there is a decent volume air flowing past the drives on both sides. If the drives are too close together or too close to the edge of the case to allow air to flow, it's a problem. If there's too MUCH space it can be a problem too, since the air right next to the drive might not be forced to flow. Something like half an inch to a couple of inches of space is probably pretty good.

So you need to make sure that there's a route for fresh air to get into the drives and that whatever fan(s) you have in your system are pulling air past them. If the fan might be drawing air through some other opening instead, then you need to do something - perhaps add a fan near the drives, perhaps restrict the other opening so as to force more air through the opening near the drives (being mindful of what effect that might have on the components near the other opening), or perhaps using cardboard or duct tape to direct the flow of air inside the case so it flows past the drives.

I use an Antec p182 case which has an isolated compartment for the drives. I don't even have a fan for my drives, the fan in the power supply (which normally runs quite slowly) is enough to draw air through the compartment to keep the drives at less than 40C.

Great solution!
As I said: the Western Digital's were on 47 degrees both and the Samsung was 33 degrees.

Now I took one Western Digital HD from it's default place [from it's default two in a bracket bay, quite isolated] and placed it in the only left free 'drive in' front loader bay. The two frontloaders are now filled, but they have more space in a better environment for air flow. The one WD left has much more space now. Problem with Acer's design is that: when I bought one extra HD and placed it into one of the two free frontloaders, it blocked almost all airflow to the bay for the existing two (default) WD drives.

Result in temp.: One WD in default place is on 39/40 degrees, the other one 41 degrees, the Samsung is on 35 degrees. These numbers are much better and I think there is no need for extra fans, OR SENDING MY PC TO ACER! :bounce: 

Thanks guys! Without your comments I consider this topic as solved!
m
l
a b G Storage
June 11, 2010 3:03:51 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
m
l
!