Desktop only runs in Single Channel Memory

greymatter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte motherboard: (GA-8I915G Duo)

I just recently bought two DDR2 533mhz 2 gig sticks of ram and can only get them to run in single channel memory.

They're installed in slots 1 and 3. I've tried switching the stick of ram to see if one was bad, but there's no difference.

I've read through the manual to see if there's some secret Bios setting and can't seem to find anything.

I've flashed Bios to see if that helped and nothing.

The machine use to run with two 512 DDR2 sticks in dual channel mode, so I doubt it's a slot failure.

I know the machine will only go up to 3.XX gigs of ram, since it's not a 64 bit operating system.

Anyone have any idea why I can't run dual channel?

greymatter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I found this in the manual:

"Two DDR/DDR II memory modules are installed (the same memory size and type): The Dual
Channel Technology will operate when two memory modules are inserted individually into
Channel A and B. If you install two memory modules in the same channel, the Dual Channel
Technology will not operate."

Does that mean if there's a two gig stick in one of the slots it automatically will not run in dual channel?

It sounds like to me, in the context, that it's saying if I were to place a stick into the DDR2 A slot, and the DDR A slot, that Dual Channel wouldn't work. Which makes sense, but I'm not sure if that's what it's referring to.

That is exactly what it is saying.
If you have the 2 sticks in the same color slots, and they are the same identical memory (you did buy a matched set?) then it *should* run in dual channel mode.
Never liked these type of transitional boards that support more than 1 kind of memory, PCIe slots and AGP both, etc. They just seem flakey and this kind of problem is exactly something I would expect to see from them.
Don't really know what more to tell you......you are not trying to run with DDR and DDR2 both at the same time? The board will not do that.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
A single channel RAM board will work with dual channel RAM but they'll only operate in one channel. But if the RAM lanes are the same color then they are dual channel and the motherboard specs are bad (it happens.) But the difference between single and dual channel RAM is marginal. Maybe 10% at best.