CM Hyper TX3 doubt...... pls help

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Recently, i bought the tx3 as my cpu temps were rather high.
My specs are:
AMD PII x4 920 @ 2.8 ghz
Gigabyte ga785gm-us2h
2 gb ddr II
ATi 4770
Earlier, when gaming, my temperature used to rise upto 63.5 * c. So, i decided to buy this cooler and finally made it. But even after installing, the temps remain the same. The only change that i saw was that when the cpu usage is 0%, the temps are 39* c which used to be 42* c when i had the stock cooler.
What could be the reason for this? Pls HELP!!

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
it could be that your cpu and/or heatsink is horribly warped? try taking the heatsink and cpu out and putting a razor to the contact surface and seeing if they surfaces are flat. chances are that you got two heatsinks that were either concave or convex. shrug~

if in fact they are not flat then try lapping either one or both of the surfaces to get better heat transfer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XIYHT03Ie4 is good for checking before lapping and of course there are tons of vids on lapping on youtube.

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

I didn't really understand.......................
What does it mean to be warped? Was that the reason for the inefficiency of my stock cooler(which used to reach 66* c when playin gta 4) ?
I think if i try to remove the cooler, the cpu might be attached to the cooler................ as this was the case that happended when i tried to remove my stock cooler........... i spent a lot of time tryin to detach...............
thanks in advance for the help

Good lord............... WARPED?????????????
Rajiv.... first things first..... go to the Peripherals chap and get your self a good Thermal Paste.......
Get back to your machine, detach the CPU with the heat sink and the fan.

Clean the top of the Processors with a soft cloth to get rid of all the earlier thermal paste or what ever is left of the pad there...... Remove as much of it as you can with the soft cloth be careful not to put pressure on the contact pins on the other side of the processor.... Do the same for you stock cooler base and the TX3 Baseplate.

Make sure both the surfaces of the processor and the contact plate of the heatsink you plan to use are clean and you can see the metal on it..... if not.... go to a chemist, buy a bottle of Isopropyle also called IP, dampen a clean new soft cloth with it and rub the left over TP off.....
Now apply a little bit of the new thermal past onto the base of the heat sink, not too much just enough that it spreads all over the processor surface when pressed together.

Mount the processor carefully, and then mount the Heatsink with a lot of care.
Check temp reading later on and let us know.
PS: Also make sure the TX3's fins are not clogged with dust and the fans dirt free before applying the TP.

Did it come with thermal paste or did you just install it dry?

Peripherals chap? Chemist? Why did you capitolize thermal paste? LOL

You only need 91% iso alcohol from wal-mart to clean your cpu, skip the chemist. Get a good thermal paste, I prefer TX-2.

If your not using thermal paste, that's your problem. Although I'm not sure what your original problem was because 66c while playing GTAIV is acceptable although I like to stay under 65c.

You really ought to and read between the lines if you want to solve a persons problem......... "He says his CPU is stuck to the Heatsink"....... that's why the Cap's on Thermal Paste..... so it strikes him as TP and not Super Glue...... :D
PS: And it is his PROBLEM........ thats why he's sharing it with us......LMAO @U
PSS: And it's pretty stupid to think that everyone is situated in the US of FA...... to have WalMarts around them......
PSSS: Of Course spelling will help too "capitolize" :kaola:

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Of course i have tried removing the side panel and no change in temp............

Maybe you should read the actual lines instead of between them. He never said his cpu was stuck to his cooler, he said he's worried it might be. :whistle:

How someone could confuse thermal paste (in lower case or capitals) with super glue, is beyond me. Especially since you don't use super glue on a cpu. :lol:

By saying you can get it at Wal-mart basically mean you can get it anywhere. I think the OP can figure that out on his own.

As far as spelling, I type over 100 wpm and sometimes make keystroke errors. Please forgive me. Now why don't you tell us why you capitalized "caps" and "course" as well...... Hmmm...

"I think if i try to remove the cooler, the cpu might be attached to the cooler................ as this was the case that happended when i tried to remove my stock cooler........... i spent a lot of time tryin to detach...............
thanks in advance for the help "

trust you to read the lines right is beyond me....
Anyways I hate arguing with A@Hs....
I guess I can put you and the OP in the same category now...... you both need help....... only his type is available here.....

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
another reason for the higher temps could be that the diod that reads the temps might be messin up. with AMD i believe that the diod is placed inside the mobo while as in intel the diod is in the CPU chip itself.

i still recommend putting a flat edge such as a razor up to both surfaces to see if they are flat or not. my stock heatsink was horribly uneven...bad quality control i guess but lapping it will fix alot of problems if that is the problem.

another possibility is that you are unknowingly overclocking??

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

I checked my old cooler and it wasn't uneven................
but i havent checked my tx3............
what doe it mean to unknowingly overclocking? i didnt understand.....................
and my 4770 reaches 75.5* c while playing assassins creed 2.............. is that normal?

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I still fail to see where he says the cpu is attached to the cooler.

He says he THINKS if he tries to remove the cooler, it MIGHT be attached to the cooler. Of course if he actually had already taken it out he would know. So that means he hasn't.

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. Of course since English is not your first language, I can see why you would misinterpret his statement.
Actually, this was what happened when i tried to remove my stock cooler..........
i removed the clip and when i took out the cooler, the cpu was attached to that portion where it was in contact with the cooler..................
I spent a lot of time tryin to detach the cpu from the cooler................

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah I understand what you said. It was the other guy that apparently didn't get it.

What you haven't stated is if you used thermal paste when you installed the new heatsink fan. I'm sure you but doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyways, I doubt the problem is because your hsf is warped. If your graphics card is also running very hot, then obviously you have a case cooling issue and not a cpu hsf issue.

Are you in a hot place like me? What is your ambient room temp that the computer is in? What case do you have?

May be time for a new case.

I've never seen a overheating computer that did NOT run cooler with the side off. I'm not sure what the problem is there but I'd say you need some more exhaust fans and maybe some better cable management.
I got a Cooler Master thermal paste and i applied it too...............
I'm from India.................... ambient room temp maybe=28* c
I have a Zebronics B2 Pro case....(http://www.zebronics.net/images/Pro/cabinets/B2_b.jpg)
Got 3 x 120 mm fans..........
one on the side(intake), one on the rear(exhaust) and one on the front(intake for the HD)...............
also my psu fan faces the processor..............
i think it takes air out..........
So, what am i to do?

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
unknowingly overclock : if you bought the computer off someone else they could have overclocked it. if you were to mess with the voltages it could also heat up your cpu while giving you the same performance readings.

go and download cpu-z and see if your voltages and clock speeds on your cpu are reading normal.

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

I assembled my computer just 1 month ago..........
there's no way of overclocking.................
At load, my processor runs @ 2812 Mhz -------------- Voltage = 1.35 v
At idle, it runs @ 802 Mhz ---------------------- voltage = 1.05 v

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/258883-11-heat in this forum, i saw that the person " found out that changing the ram back to auto and the volt to 1.6 it seemed to drop the temp by 5c"......
Will it work for mine? Will there be any performance difference if i do it? How can i do it?

TRENDING THREADS