Sign in with
Your question

How to ground myself if my motherboard tray is powder coated?

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2008 3:08:08 PM

Well besides grounding myself how does the motherboard get grounded. I'm getting the inside of my case powder coated today so I need to know quickly what to do. Should I put standoffs on the tray to keep the threads not painted? Help please!
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2008 3:24:42 PM

Use masking tape to cover areas where you want metal to metal contact. Personally I think it's a dumb idea. When did computers become artwork anyway?
December 11, 2008 3:47:53 PM

Cover the screw holes for the stands with tape.......this way they will reamain metal on metal. To ground yourself when working in there....touch your foot to a metal baseboard heater while touching the case (that isnt coated)

Cheers,

-PM
Related resources
December 11, 2008 4:02:30 PM

I just called the powder coating company and they told me that there usual procedure is to mask the threads of all the screw holes and I can just sand off the top of the holes myself. I hope that's enough.
December 11, 2008 4:06:50 PM

or i suppose you could mask off the whole section under the motherboard to be sure, since nobody will ever see it unless the case is empty. Just curious, what kind of case is it?
December 11, 2008 5:23:55 PM

It's the coolermaster cosmos 1000. The problem is that they already have the case and are about an hour away. I called to see if they can mask the holes in the mobo tray but they said they would charge me extra for time and material.
December 12, 2008 8:08:29 AM

I'm a PC modding newbie, but I'm an engineer of 20 years.

The usual practice to protect threads is simply to put some screws in, and leave them there through the process. Then, score around the screw heads with a craft knife before unscrewing.

Powder coating uses plastic, which will insulate your case against heat. I.e. it will make the case less able to transfer heat away. Not much, but maybe enough to make a difference.
December 12, 2008 9:47:02 AM

Consider purchasing a wrist strap......they are cheap and will keep you grounded.
December 12, 2008 5:59:16 PM

I do have a wrist strap but I always thought you had to clip it to bare metal not paint.
December 12, 2008 6:00:40 PM

Oh and by the way thanks for the input guys and keep em coming.
December 12, 2008 6:19:18 PM

Buy a couple of screws the same thread size as your standoffs. Screw them in to break loose the powder coating then screw in standoffs. A more elegant solution is to use a tap the same size as the standoffs and use that to open up the holes for the standoffs.

And yes, computers are art. Powder coating or painting the inside of your PC looks really nice when done well. 2 of my 3 cases have been re-painted by me, inside and out.
December 13, 2008 8:49:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Kaldor but what is a tap?
!