Anyone notice more frequent driver failures with 8.12?

kingtz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Eversince 8.12, it seems that my drivers have been crashing more frequently with the infamous atikmdag error. This happens only when I play COD4 and happens about every 30mins or so with the screen going black for a few seconds and then turning back on. Usually it's fine afterwards, but lately I'm getting weird graphics glitches after it turns back on - such as rain textures on surfaces that are too shimmery instead of looking like water or weird colored pixels even. Sometimes a portion of my screen disappears so my widescreen (1680x1050) looks likes its a regular screen.

The driver failure occurred prior to 8.12, but it seems to be occurring more frequently now. Before, it'd fail once and after it reverts, it'd be fine and I can play for hours more. Now, it seems to be failing every half hour or so, as mentioned above. And it doesn't happen with the other games I play such as AoE3 and CIV4.

Anyone else notice this?

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
is your card overclocked? i never got the new 8.12 drivers installed, gave me endless BSOD's, so i reverted back to 8.10. however, i did notice that overclocking mine did result in way more crashes. All i did was back the memory clock back 5 mhz and it was fixed.

kingtz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Yeah, my card is overclocked. My 4850 is currently at 690/2320 MHz. But my temps are 44C idle and about 78-80C load so I figured it was ok.

But yeah, I'll try decreasing the OC by 5 MHz and see.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
My 3870 is constantly getting the ATIkmdag error. Though it rarely happens in games. Usually, it will be when the desktop is idle or playing a movie or episodes of somethign for extended periods of time. Then vista will keep trying to reset the driver, then it will finally just give up and bsod.

I dont care enough to revert back, since I've got a 4870 on the way that I'll keep 8.11 on till .13 comes out.

kingtz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

So I took back my OC by 5MHzand that stabilized it a bit. The drivers would fail once, but the game would be fine after the recovery - no graphical glitches or shimmering that I've noticed so far.

There won't be a .13, it's already 2009, the next driver will be 9.1

The unfortunate thing is that this is a combination Vista and driver issue, it's essentially trying to avoid lock-ups and BSODs and if possible tries to keep things running, versus the bigger hassle of having to reboot, but unfortunately there's still a conflict somewhere and like most error messages (from any company) it's tough to troubleshoot the source. Sometimes driver or program re-installs helps, but other times not.

Looks like the 8.12s have increase the occurrence of conflicts though, so hopefully they reduce a bit with 9.1

PS, to the OP sort of related to the other thread, but not worth posting there just to post it, this isn't just an ATi+Vista thing, it's been going on for years with nV too (get it at work);

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381

It's annoying on both platforms, but definitely still better than a lock-up or BSOD if it recovers cleanly.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
I experienced some problems with OC'ing my memory too on my new 4850. It all shows it's good, but when I hit Vanguard, I get green marks all over my screen and other graphical issues. When I run at default, it's all fine.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Exact same problem I had. Tried for hours to get 8.12 working but never got anything but BSOD.... Heres to 2009 and hoping Cat 9.1 fixes the issues...

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
It seems as if many people with Vista x64 and over 4GB of ram and 38xx cards can't even get 8.12 installed... as is the case with me.

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It happens frequently:
untitled-1.jpg

I plan on just using 8.11 for my new build and getting 9.1 when they're out. I've heard a lot more complaints about 8.12 than normal. Also, I think your OC may be a little high (or your power supply a little low). That many resets in not normal for a 4850 (and Vista 32 bit, at least). Mine's only done it a few times in the many months I've owned it.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
This may or may not be on the subject, but does anyone currently running, let's say... 8.10 or more recent still have the ability to run Aero? I just realized that I had lost it sometime in the last couple of months and it's kinda buggin' me...

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Nah, the option just isn't visible. I've refreshed my Vista Experience (or whatever) Score and I have a base score of 5.8, the Vista 'Theme' selected, etc, etc... but Aero is no where to be found. I don't know exactly when it happened, but it was either when I put in the 940 BE (MB still isn't registering the name of the CPU, but I don't think that that should make a difference) or after updating GPU drivers...

I don't think the processor model unknown matters. My old FX-60 never registered and Aero worked fine. I'm surprised though that your board doesn't recognize it (mine does). Do you have the newest BIOS? Also, I guess because of the slightly faster ram mine gets all 5.9's

I don't think that the 4850 needs that much power. I ran it fine on a mediocre 550W and am running it great on my new 610W.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, I don't think that it should matter, and yeah, I have the latest BIOS. My graphics cards are actually the only 5.8 in the mix - who knows...

Anyway, lots of driver issues lately, let's just hope that 9.1 pulls it together.