Looking for advice on best and second best video card

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I was wondering what you guys think is the best video card out there and the second best card(as they usally are cheaper and u can OC them to the best card anyways). I dont care about the manufacturer but my last card was the 8800 gts.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

It'll be interesting to see what the availability is on it. I'm guess that it will be pretty low given that for some bizarre reason Nvidia has decided to use two unique GPU cores instead of using two GTX260's or two GTX280's (the GTX295 cores each have 240 SP's like the GTX280 but only a 448-bit bus like the GTX260).

My thinking is, the 4870 took alot of the estimated G280 sales, and is well established, and the 285 isnt expected to sell that well. Having alot of cores to neuter for the 295. The 4870x2 has hit the highend possibilties pretty hard, and releasing these is or may be too little too late, especially with the economy as it is, tho, Ive found usually, people who buy these kinds of things, a good portion, usually arent the affected ones in a bad economy

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Sorry but Im kinda lost the X2 seems best from one source and the 280 is best by another, one great bit of info I did not know is the 295 is about to come about and if they drop the price I think I'll get tge 280 as I had Nvidia and ATi over my life time and i seem to like the nvidia drivers more.

Other then better performance with higher res does SLI make sense? Does it pass the "bang for the buck test"?

I usually buy the second best hardware as its only a bit slower but a lot cheaper and u can still OC it to the best hardwares speed.

Thanks

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

It depends on the games you are playing and at what res. For example, I would think that Nvidia performance is better on select games like Crysis and Assassins Creed, but overall ATI have better performing cards, plus they steal the show when it comes to high AA...IMO.

Plus with the 4870x2 & 4850x2 you have crossfire from the start

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I was thinking of going with a 4850x2 (2 cards). Or GTX 260 maybe 280 again 2 cards sli.

Now I was thinking of getting a 295, for the money do u guys see a better combo?

Only concern I have is the drivers. Iv found nvidia drivers to be better in the past, dunno if its still the same.

Also, dont the current Nvidia cards have the physx

OCingsmurf77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
What Resolution are you running on, if you have anything past 24 inches, the Ati cards are king. I have the X2 running at1680 x 1050 lcd 20" and I would say its overkill. I would agree the drivers from nvidia in the past were alot better, But I'm pleased with the ati Drivers atm.

My advice, depending on screen size, wait for the new 295 to release and watch the ati card prices drop (maybe). Last time I checked you could get a X2 for less than 500$?

You say your last card was an 8800gts? which one? 320/640/ or 512? do you still have it? if so do you havean SLI board? if you do just get a 2nd and run in SLI.

As far as recommending a card. What are your system specs? What PSU do you have? You see differences in the ATI and Nvidia cards on reviews because they use different test systems. If you use a GTX 280 in an i7 system it is going to demolish because nvidia cards like fast CPUs. Likewise if you have a moderate system the ATI will prevail because it is driver heavy and the Nvidia is probably not living to its potential.

We need your system for a recomendations. And as far as what is the best? What do you want to spend is the real key.