Which processor to buy?

mannyak

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
im planning to buy a new pc, what processor is the best to buy right now? im thinking of the intel core2duo e7300, intel core2duo e7400 or the amd athlon x2 7750be, which is the best among the 3? i dont intend to do any overclocking on my new rig, i use the pc mostly for internet surfing, watching movies, play a little old games ( c & c generals, need for speed). hope you guys can help me on this.

the amd 7750 is a very moderate cpu

The e 7300 and e 7400 are both much more powerful . These are the same processor but the e7400 runs at a slightly higher speed . I wouldnt bother paying extra for it when you can overclock an e7300 effortlessly .

JIMER1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
AMD for price & your requirements -- intel if you step up into intense gaming or video editing.

Well certainly for ur requirements the AMD is the best choice...cheaper and gud performing...

But if u are into more intense apps like frequent photo editing or things like tat, and willing to overclock , then go wit the intel...

But am sure at stocks u wont notice drastic difference wit the intel and the AMD for ur usage...

Stick wit the 7750 and mayb later when u thnk of upgrade, sure the PII are gud...sure by then prices would come down...

mannyak

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
thanks guys, i was planning to get the 7750be before i posted this thread because its cheap (about 80 $ here) but i was put down by the many reviews that it was more power hungry than the intel wolfdales and comes with a weak cooler, so i think ill get the intel wolfdales e7300 or e7400. the x3 710 is also good but it is not available here in my country yet, the x3 720be being sold here is kinda expensive because its about the same price as an e8400 ( 178 $). by the way i have another question, is it okay if i use a g31 chipset motherboard with the wolfdales? im also planning to purchase an ati 4670 video card.

The e7xx is a good cpu. It can be OC'd pretty easy if you want a bit more out of it. If there isn't too much price difference, I would suggest the 7400, but the 7300 isn't that much difference in performance.

mannyak

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

thanks very much, the difference in price between e7300 and e7400 is only about 10 $ so ill get the e7400.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Do not base a cpu purchase on Super Pi. Its a worthless benchmark that Intels crush AMD in. It does not mean the AMD is slow.

Your points are valid. It is more power hungry then the wolfdales. Its cooler is fine though. The Intel stock coolers if anything are worse. I would build whatever machine you can get the cheapest. I'd also give the Intel 5 series a look

The whole Amd line is slow. In another thread a crysis benchmark was linked where an E8400 beat out a Phenom 940 X4 Easily.

if you had bothered to check the benchmarks on this site you woul;d see that in a single gfx card set up with a GTX 280 the Phenom ll 940 was more than a match for the e8400 , and easily beat the Ci7 920 in most games
The e8400 one is telling since most games are single threaded meaning a quad has no advantage over a double core processor . And since the e8400 and 940 both run at 3 GHz each phenom core must be at least as capable as each core in an e8400

The OP is definitely better off with an e7xxx though . Its a superior cpu to the 7750 in almost every way .
I have an e7300 running at 3.33 GHz . It benches higher than an e8400 , and overclocking was as simple as setting the FSB to 333MHz .

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Phenom II 3.0Ghz (overclock to 6.5 Ghz)
$240 @ tigerdirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp?name=CPUs

The Ci7 will cost you $1079.99.

That's just the CPU.

I do not recommend one of Intel's Multi-chip modules, they cannot perform like a quad core can.

The best value on the market is the AMD Dragon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq_XG411Lik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwcKyrHHQac

Spend your money wisely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0JodKgZ0A

Not bad for a $240 CPU, aye?

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

Outlander:

Is there a way I can get a tool to test my AM3 720BE in X4 with a Farcry2 and Crysis testing tool? or do I have to get the game?

I would post my scores on here to show that vs what Chris had in the write-up.

Thanks for any input you can have for me. :)

Well, the Ci7 will only cost you $1080 if you are dumb enough to not realize the existence of the lower end chips. I own a 965 even, and I wouldn't recommend it for most builds. It simply doesn't give enough advantage in gaming (I did not buy it for gaming). As for Intel's MCMs, they can indeed perform like a quad core can, as they have 4 cores (imagine that).

There are download demo's of both games available . But they are huge files .
The Crysis one is 1.8 GIGABYTES

Far Cry 2 is 551 Mb's
http://www.download.com/Far-Cry-demo-2/3000-7441_4-10267976.html

The easiest tool I know of to check frame rates on your computer is a program called FRAPS
http://www.fraps.com/
It works on all games I have tried it with

The pay version of fraps allows you to record game action and have the current FPS on screen while you play . The freeware is a bit limited but you get the fps and 30 seconds of recording .

There are also specific benchmark tools for both games . Google will find them for you

You are not going to be able to OC that phenom 3.0Ghz to 6.5Ghz. What are you smoking?? Intel also has dual core and quad core cpu's.

I think I remember this same argument in another post. It's like deja vu.....

LOL !

Im done arguing with him . My grand father gave me one really good piece of advice , but its still holds true today . He said
" never argue with an idiot , they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience "

Ive made my point . That Toms link is about as good as it gets .

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

..And every other post that contains the words "AMD" and "Intel".

I can predict the future too! Every post that contains those two magic words will also contain arguments that can neither be won nor lost...:in a booming voice: Until the ends of time...

I should charge for my services.

I think the last post rambled on for 3 pages.