Sign in with
Your question

The new Mac Pro with Nehalem Xeon

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2009 6:52:48 AM

I am planning to buy the new Mac Pro.
But the question is:
better the single processor with 4 core and 2,93ghz or the 2 processors with 8 core and 2,26ghz? The price is pretty equivalent at the end... but which solution is best performant?

More about : mac pro nehalem xeon

a c 126 à CPUs
March 6, 2009 6:55:56 AM

Um what do you plan to do? More cores would be better for rendering apps that use more cores but if the apps only utilize 4 cores then the newer Nehalem Xeon would be better since it improves a lot.
March 6, 2009 7:04:45 AM

@ jimmysmitty:

well, I am planning to use it for video editing with final cut, dvd creation and some gaming (under windows environment).
Related resources
a c 126 à CPUs
March 6, 2009 7:09:43 AM

Well the gaming would benefit (if you have 2 GPUs) from the Nehalem Xeon. But the video editing might end up benefiting from the dual CPUs but not by much since Nehalem itself has hyperthreading which gives it 8 logical cores which would be equivalent to 2 CPUs.

Overall I would say go with the 2.93GHz Nehalem Xeon because it will act as 8 cores and perform on par with the dual CPU system.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2009 7:12:55 AM

Actually, both setups have a Nehalem - the choice is between a single Nehalem with 4 cores, 8 threads at 2.93, or the dual nehalems with 8 cores and 16 threads at 2.26. Honestly, the video editing and dvd creation would be faster on the dual processor setup, but the gaming would be faster with the single CPU, so chose based on which you do more.
March 6, 2009 7:15:46 AM

@ jimmysmitty and cjl:

thank you guys! understood...
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2009 10:04:34 PM

Quote:
I read that the i7 laptops have less than 1 hour battery life. Pretty useless if you ask me. So what would you get with 2 i7's? 20 minutes?

Laptops?

This is a Mac Pro.

It's a desktop, designed as a fairly powerful workstation.
a c 126 à CPUs
March 7, 2009 8:00:38 AM

How in the hell would you even be able to fit 2 quad cores into a laptop since Intel just barely released the Yorkfield based quads to laptops a bit ago......
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2009 3:18:06 PM

jimmysmitty said:
How in the hell would you even be able to fit 2 quad cores into a laptop since Intel just barely released the Yorkfield based quads to laptops a bit ago......

LOL!

Somehow I don't think Zippy knows much about Macs or Intel...
June 30, 2009 9:27:16 AM

you have to make the two quads quantum size; about the size of Alice when she entered the rabbit hole
!