USB Front Case Panel connections compatible with USB 3.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocd

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
If the motherboard is compatible with USB 3.0, will those connections work with the USB 2.0 front panel connections on the case giving USB 3.0 speed or will the entire case need to be upgrade? I ask this for those who buy a PC case with USB 2.0 front connections just a month or so before USB 3.0 hits.

No.
Although USB 3 is going to be backwards compatible with USB 1/2 devices, I understand it will use an additional four data wires with USB 3 devices. It will also have different receptacles than the current USB 1/2 and send more power through the lines. As such, a case receptacle designed for USB 1/2 will not be compatible with USB 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#USB_3.0

Features

*USB 3.0 receptacles are compatible with USB 2.0 device plugs for the respective physical form factors. However, only USB 3.0 Standard-B receptacles can accept USB 3.0 Standard-B device plugs.

*The protocol uses Dual-simplex, over four additional wires, differential signaling separate from USB 2.0 signaling (thus six wires total) to achieve the full Superspeed 5.0 Gbit/s

*The bus power spec has been increased so that a unit load is 150mA (+50% over USB 2.0). An unconfigured device can still draw only 1 unit load, but a configured device can draw up to 6 unit loads (900mA, an 80% increase over USB 2.0). Minimum device operating voltage is dropped from 4.4V to 4V

ocd

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
If one is buying a new PC case now, what would be your advice? I am buying a new case because I really need one. How would I go about changing the front USB receptacle and wiring to accept the new format (besides getting a new motherboard or having an expansion slot).

ocd

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
If one is buying a new PC case now, what would be your advice? I am buying a new case because I really need one. How would I go about changing the front USB receptacle and wiring to accept the new format (besides getting a new motherboard or having an expansion slot).

ocd

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009

I just conducted a search at newegg for USB 3.0 devices. The search drew a blank. Are there any devices using USB 3.0? What about USB 3.0 headers on motherboards? I knew USB 3.0 was coming but haven't read very much about it.

I was also looking at specifications for computer cases. I did not see any case specifications indicating USB 3.0 connections. Actually, the specifications only indicate the front panels have USB connections but do not specify which version.

shovenose

Distinguished
i think if you plug a front oanel usb 2.0 thing into the usb 3.0 header on the motherboard then itll onyl use usb 2.0 on the front panel but still use usb 3.0 on the motherboard's own connectors...

mjlewis0102

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I am also in the process of upgrading my system and want to know how to got usb 3.0 from the front panel. any ideas? any adapters? I constantly transfer files from my front usb to an external. I need all the speed I can get.

As no motherboards currently support USB 3 natively, there are no internal USB 3 connectors available (necessary for front panel connection).
In addition, no current USB 3 add on cards have the necessary connector for front panel USB ports.

Because of this, no cases or front bay manufacturer has had any reason to release USB 3 products.
I would not expect to see any cases with native USB 3 connectors until Intel or AMD decides to release a USB 3 capable southbridge (towards the end of the year).
I would hope, however, that top tier manufacturers would offer USB 3 upgrade kits for their most current/popular cases...

G

Dont go jumping on usb 3 bandwagon just yet, its a newborn baby still

mjlewis0102

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

Im actually buying a motherboard that supports usb 3.0. you can see the specks here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614&cm_re=usb_3.0-_-13-131-614-_-Product

Very nice case, if a tad over priced ;)
Now we just need proper southbridge support...

Yes, while that motherboard does support USB 3, it is not nativity supported through the southbridge.
As such, you are limited to the two USB 3 connections on the back panel.
All USB headers (what is used to connect FP or bay connections) are still USB 2.

All current USB 3 motherboards are stopgap solutions using add on controller chips.
Expect true USB 3 support towards the end of this year, beginning of next.

erniecolorado1

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

http://www.gigabyte.us/News/Motherboard/News_List.aspx?NewsID=1509

That is incorrect. Gigabyte, to start with, makes a motherboard with USB 3.0 connectors on it. I happen to own it. As for any hardware that support it, that is an updated log to come soon. It will replace sATA, Firewire and USB 2.0 completely as there will be no need for them anymore due to the speed, smoothness and total universality of USB 3.0! I am glad! YAY PROGESS!

mjlewis0102

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

Thanks for this info :)

Yes, it has USB 3.
NO, it does not have a USB 3 HEADER, which is necessary for USB 3 front panel connectors.

As stated above, all current USB 3 implementations are through controller chips, not the southbridge.
As such, there are no current motherboards with the necessary header to connect front panel USB 3 ports.
Expect these towards the end of this year, beginning of next.

bullmoosetom

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

----------------------------------------------------
Yes the Gigabyte p67a-ud5 (mine) does have a 20 pin usb3 header on the bottom of the board.
Problem is, there is no plug that I can find for it, in order to connect it to the front of my Antec Twelve Hundred, or later to internal drives etc.

zeepkist

Distinguished
May 5, 2008

lian li do one:

UC-01-b.jpg

and bitfenix do a slightly different one:

bitfenix-usb3-internal.jpg

check this link to see where you can buy the bitfenix parthttp://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/about/wheretobuy/

Status
Not open for further replies.