swsquish

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I wanted to get some suggestions on attachable PORTABLE (mini) monitor/keyboards... if any such thing exists... for a headless system.

I created a file server using Vista 64bit business and it is up and running. I am able to log in from my other systems using remote desktop. But I wanted to get something for those rare times I may need to log into safe mode or even do BIOS changes without having to lug out my monitor and keyboard and hook them up again.

I am a bit of a newb with networking so forgive me if I am missing more obvious routes.

swsquish

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I built a system with Adaptec 3405 Raid controller (RAID 5 config, 4 x 1TB drives = ~3TB functional capacity), ASUS M3A78-EM mobo (bad choice), AMD X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.7 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Vista Business 64-bit.

I set it up to constantly download via torrent and emule and serve up my files.

I keep it in my closet (to minimize heat) and headless (for space constraints and energy usage).

r_manic

Administrator
Ok, from what I've seen, your mobo can has DisplayPort support, so USB displays can work with it (definitely a lot easier to plug IMO). I'm not entirely sure though; can someone else her confirm?

swsquish

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
thank you for the responses r_manic. Will do a search for these type of displays, hopefully can find a mini one. Would be nice if there was a display keyboard combo type thing. One can only hope.