• Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 27, 2010 10:08:33 AM

Hello,
I have a seagate 320 gb exteranl hard drive. Yesterday evening while using it , the computer froze up and had to be restarted. The drive now is not recognized when plugged in but just makes a strange noise. No lights come on. The cable is working fine and all other external drives work. Help. I really don't want to lose all this information.

More about : external hard drive showing

May 27, 2010 7:52:23 PM

if it is making a funny noise, a clicking sound, it is probably dead. Go to the seagate website, they have software tool that can check your drive for problems. I suspect that it is bad and you will need to do a RMA to get a replacement drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 28, 2010 10:08:11 AM

I had a similar problem where my 2 year old knocked over the enclosure. It turned out he damaged the enclosure but not the disk. Try one of these 'plug and play' styles and take your drive out of the enclosure. Plug it into the device and see if it spins up. You can get an esata one for less than $50.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 28, 2010 2:25:39 PM

connect your drive to another PC to test whether it was the port problem.

This can be caused by complicated reasons. To restore files, you can try some recovery software which is within 100 bucks like this one worked for me before http://www.icare-recovery.com/
m
l
Related resources
!