mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Does anyone know if Intel is planning on making any new cpus for socket 775? Or is the mobo I bought 5 months ago going to be obsolete by the end of the year?

Thanks

ulysses35

Distinguished
Pretty sure there are no CPU's planned for Socket 775 - though the current Quads and high end C2D's will be more than capable for most uses for a year or two.

LGA1366 is the next big step - though at the current high prices we could end up seeing more people stick with 775's...

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

You sure about that? I've only heard uncomfirmed rumours and I'm planning on going to i7 around july/august when prices come down some more, I was really worried that the LGA 1160 was gonna be above the 1366. do you have any links to anything on this matter that I can read up on?

ulysses35

Distinguished
i7 / LGA 1366 is meant for the higher end PC's / enthusiasts, where as the i'5's will be a more main stream CPU. For those of us without deep pockets this maybe the best way to go for some time to come.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Should be around 720 performance for the dual core's, unless they restrict the FSB to 4GT/s or something really low like that, but I'd doubt that since the 32nm have a built in GPU which would take some of the bandwidth.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
IMHO:

Intel sold so many 775 CPUs that you are safe for at least a year.

If the makers dropped LGA775 mobo making in Q3 or Q4 2009, they would lose out on huge profits in the next 6-9 months after that.

others are right...you're good for at least a year, if not 2.

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
@OP

Why worry? Even if it isn't, chances are you gonna buy a new mobo by the time you need an upgrade anyway.

Btw, most people that do read this forum should have seen this coming.

You should only be concerned if you are doing an interim or short term purchase in the hopes of upgrading in the near future for a faster CPU.

For all of the PCs I've built for myself (6 since 1998; 4 primary PCs and 2 HTPCs), I only upgraded the CPU once and that was because it died. All other times I basically upgraded to a new platform.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I recon 775 will last till next year....

Intel will want to sell of old stocks of 775 processors - who knows the 1600FSB chips have not been released to main stream buyers and most new boards support it...

1336 has been around for a while but 775 still exists !!

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

when you feel that it doesnt run the games you want to play anymore.. It will handle anything for the next year... and even more..

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Mua hua hua!!! I'm gonna try to see if I can keep my rig for one decade.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

you would wear it out on toms alone.

i recon youll still be on here when youve got a couple of kids, whilst the rest of us are incontinent in wheel chairs shouting out the word "Bibble" at people that go by..as a form of appreciation that some on has entered our air space..

your forum rating will be "what eva" and will be on a salary paid by the internet governing bodies after getting in the guiness world record books for the most forum posts ( 20 billion by then ) :)

good to see you again kid, hope alls well in oz.

Its crap over here - loads are losing jobs. people are fed up and the weathers gonna get bad again.

oh well Rule Britania

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Im usually out to upgrade to the next shiny new platform, i love the i7's and the phenom 2's, however, i have a teenage daughter and a 10 year old son who is on his second grow spurt in a year, so i have come to the realization that, a, im not a gamer because i rarely have time, and b: my q6600 runs everything i need it to run, so i expect to keep this setup a few more years. On another note, i recently upgraded my daughter from a socket 754 athlon 2800 plus to a am2 based be2350 system, and the difference is amazing, amd should have made some noise about this cpu, it's actually prettty fast(i have a quad6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz, so im not comparing it to athlon 2800), msi motherboard i purchased is reliable(see, vanilla, or lame) so im pretty sure only extreme gamers need to upgrade frequently.

halcyon

Splendid

...or enthusiasts that just like to see and feel what the performance and technology can do for them. I love that the i7 is so powerful. ...and when Asus releases that dual 1366 board I'm going for it with another 920. The encoding and virtualization is hungry...and I plan to feed it.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I reckon it'll die soon. I leave my rig on 24/7 to help F@H...

I'm reducing my forum posts btw... if you noticed.