AGP Speed Question 32951

mowogo1820

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I working on a friends PC and his Video Card failed and doesn't work anymore. The video card I pulled from his machine said it was an AGP 2x/4x card.

My question is: If I replace the card with an AGP 4x/8x, will it down-clock to a 2x/4x ?

I'm not sure if the AGP slot is a "2x" or a "4x". I've been searching for AGP 2x/4x cards to purchase and haven't found that many out there since most mail-order sites are only selling AGP 4x/8x.

What he wants to do with his machine is watch movies, surf the internet, write and print doc's, listen to music, view a few pictures from his camera, and maybe play some minor games. He's looking to spend under 50 (that includes the base price, tax and shipping charges).

What do yall recommend?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and thank you for your time and effort!

Sincerely,
Mowogo1820

zigonneux

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Hi there,

Check the motherboard model and brand and then check what your AGP slot specs on the motherboard maker website.
Then you will know exactly what you can buy after that. Hope you have the latest AGP specs.

Enjoy !

Yeah, there aren't too many 4x AGP cards that you can get new, but you can always try and get something like a GeForce 4/3 off ebay :). Generally putting an 8x card in a 4x slot will have it operate at 4x. More recent 8x cards will not operate at 2x or 1x though. There was an also an issue with some of the Radeon Cards using the bridge adapter causing them to only work in an 8X slot. Make sure you update the BIOS on that board, especially if it's a VIA chipset board.