PRAXEUM

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I just got a brand new Alienware Aurora.
The specs.

-Intel Core i7 CPU 930 Quad Core Overlocked to 3.37Ghz
-9Gigs of DDR3 Triple Channel Memory (RAM Speed : 642.4 MHz (2:8) @ 9-9-9-24) <-- Can someone explain this to me? The 2:8, and the 642.4Mhz..
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 1.8GB with Direct X 11.
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
-LG 22Inch Widescreen Monitor connected Via VGA to DVI converter 1920-1080 resolution. Direct X 11.

Link to CPU-Z Scan http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1159579

In general the computer is fantastic. I just have some general questions as I am no pro.

The computer feels sluggish. I just upgraded from a single core P4 3.00ghz, 2 gigs of ddr2 ram, 150meg harddrive, to this after 5 years.

Are my expectations to high?

My fps in wow are about 60 strairing straight or up, and 35 pointing down at everything with detail in flight with everything at max.

Is there an FPS cap, is there some setting that holds it back that doesnt reduce image quality, is there some sort of nvidia setting that needs to be altered.

Just in general I feel like the computer takes a long time to boot up, and get everything set in windows. I feel like sometimes its sluggish loading programs, but its still fast. Are there any tweaks that most people do?

Another note, I ordered the computer overlocked as the standard timing with that cpu ordered was 2.80, and when it arrived it was at 2.80 so a guy at alienware talked me through overclocking it on the phone, did I perhaps miss a setting? Is the memory timing right.

EDUCATE ME. You are all awesome.!

Well as for loading Windows, your biggest bottleneck is going to be your hard drive. If you only have a single, Windows won't really load any faster regardless of CPU speed. Best thing to do is get 2 or 3 HDDs and run them in RAID 0. The ones I bought, Seagate 7200.12 500gb 16mb cache were only $50 each and I noticed a huge difference.

Secondly, I don't know if Alienware preset your BIOS but you might want to go in there and check the RAM speed and timings. You should check if the RAM manufacturer has recommended speed settings. Mine for instance by default when I installed them were at 1333mhz and I "OCed" them to the manufacturer recomendation of 1600mhz, 8-8-8-24. So yea check that out in your BIOS, that they are what they should be. The 2:8 is the frequency ratio to your motherboard's BCLK (Base clock, or Front Side Bus). The 642 is the "real" memory frequency but DDR doubles it so you end up with 1284mhz.

I'm guessing tho the main problem is the hard drive. When you're flying, your PC has to load a lot of new stuff so it has to wait to get the info from the HDD.

PRAXEUM

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I am having a hard time finding specifics from Samsung.

Can most 1333mhz DDR3 memory be increased past that threshold, or should I be wary if the number exceeds it.
My cpu got OC'd a bit more, the alienware people were not very helpful other then explaining how I could increase the CPU OC a bit more. and now the memory timing is being reported at 722, so that being doubled is 1444. Is that better, should I lower the oc back, till its closet to the 642 it was originally. I have not manually tweaked any memory timing, it has increased based on a cpu adjustment.

its now 722.2 MHz (2:8) @ 9-9-9-24

I dont want to end up damaging it, or slowing it down, or creating memory issues.?

I will look into a secondary HD.

Shall I lower it back, Could use your opinion Wolf. Thanks for your time.

Well chances are the memory is fine up to 1600mhz, that's considered a fairly normal "OC" for RAM, a lot of the DDR3 RAM is actually built to run at that speed. To check if the RAM is ok at whatever clock, you might consider getting something like Prime95, if you run a Blend test it will stop some of the processors from working with RAM errors, or CPU errors for that matter which signifies instability. I just got a program called LinX which is a benchmark/stability test and from what I read about it, it also tests the RAM a fair bit so any instability will creep up. For a thorough RAM test tho, the best is something called Memtest86+. It's a bit of a pain tho because you need to put it on a boot disk or CD, and then after your PC POSTs it will go in to Memtest and start running. It takes a while to do a full diagnosis.

I really can't see your RAM having a problem tho. For the most part you're safe up to 1.65V as well which is fairly standard voltage for 1600mhz speed.

Also, a lot of DDR3 memory has XMP profiles. If yours does, load it up, save the settings then re-enter the BIOS and check what the RAM is set to. This is considered a safe setting. For me, XMP auto sets it to 2T 8-8-8-24 1600mhz 1.65V but it also sets my mobo's FSB to 160. So I raised it to 200 and then lowered the RAM ratio (actually on my mobo it's a simple modifier) so that it's at 1600 and not 1800. So yea, remember what your current BCLK is if you load XMP, then if you set it back, set the RAM to as close to the XMP setting as possible, and if anything go a bit less than a bit more.